• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LED vs Incandescent Christmas Lights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED vs Incandescent Christmas Lights

Is it my imagination or do the LED lights just not have the sparkle of the old style lights?

I know they're supposed to be greener but I've only just chucked out my old set which gave up the ghost after 20 years & LED lights don't have replaceable bulbs so once one bulb goes the whole lot goes in the bin. That can't be very green...

LED last for ever

Phillips, Osram and the other bulb manufacturers have been caught lying about bulb life
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
      Is it my imagination or do the LED lights just not have the sparkle of the old style lights?

I know they're supposed to be greener but I've only just chucked out my old set which gave up the ghost after 20 years & LED lights don't have replaceable bulbs so once one bulb goes the whole lot goes in the bin. That can't be very green...

LED lights don't blow as easily as filament ones so they shouldn't need replacing too frequently. Also, if one ore two LEDs do go, the other lights will still function.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I still got old skool ones up the 'warm' bulb color ones, but I feel a bit cheap as everyone else got fancy white LED's up, I feel like the poor kid who is wearing trainers bought because they looked like Reebok but actually weren't (I will never forget that aged 11).
        I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

I had some of those with the replaceable bulbs around the coving in the front room, decided to leave them up after Christmas as they looked quite nice. Each time a bulb went it would knock a section of about 8 bulbs out, after a few months there were more lamps out than were lit, so I guiltily chucked the whole lot out.

On the tree now I use "Warm White" LED ones, none have failed and they're about 3-4 years old. They don't look quite as nice as the old incandescent ones but they're close enough and obvioulsly no faffing with replacing fiddly bulbs.
          Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
          "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Dunno, but here's a top tip:

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
              I had some of those with the replaceable bulbs around the coving in the front room, decided to leave them up after Christmas as they looked quite nice. Each time a bulb went it would knock a section of about 8 bulbs out, after a few months there were more lamps out than were lit, so I guiltily chucked the whole lot out.

On the tree now I use "Warm White" LED ones, none have failed and they're about 3-4 years old. They don't look quite as nice as the old incandescent ones but they're close enough and obvioulsly no faffing with replacing fiddly bulbs.
              Just picked up an old style set from the local garden centre & have strung them up over the mantlepiece. Definitely more twinkley than the LEDs so I shall enjoy them while they last

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
                ..LED lights don't have replaceable bulbs so once one bulb goes the whole lot goes in the bin. That can't be very green...
                LEDs don't have "bulbs" - they are semi-conductor diodes. When they fail, they normally fail "shorted", so the rest will continue to function.

Bigclive will tell you everything you need to know. He has quite a fetish for all things LED : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWxv0HUcw-g
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                  LEDs don't have "bulbs" - they are semi-conductor diodes. When they fail, they normally fail "shorted", so the rest will continue to function.

Bigclive will tell you everything you need to know. He has quite a fetish for all things LED : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWxv0HUcw-g
                  You did wrong you were suppose to tell them "truths"
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Choose LED in 40 watt range

Comment

Working...
                    X