• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Local Hot Desking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local Hot Desking

So headed down to Devon with kids, dog, wife in tow to visit my elderly mother for Xmas and her 80th Birthday in a couple of days.

For some reason the wife wanted to head down a few days early, even though I'm still working.

The house is tiny, mother is deaf as a post and has xmas music on full blast, the kids are bigger than the last time we stayed at the house(I booked a house locally) and the dog is massive. With nowhere to sit down comfortably to work and mayhem I googled 'hot desking' and found one above the town hall.

30 minutes later, I'm in a large quiet open plan office sponsored by the local council, key pass, free coffee machines, free stationary, free printers, two meetings rooms, large monitors & keyboards if required for just £10 per day. As I came down at lunchtime, they've only charged me £5!!!! for today.

I'm also the only person here! Is this normal, seems rather cheap to me.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

That sounds like a bargain, I need to google ones local to home for those times in the school holidays when it is too noisy for conference calls...

EDIT: £25 a day at a local enterprise hub, or £250 a month

Might make a nice networking opportunity
    Last edited by Pherlopolus; 21 December 2015, 14:35.

Comment

The security guards/receptionist is probably grateful for the company.

(I was going to say janitor but realised that we weren't still in the 1970's...)
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Have you stolen any mince pies?

Comment

Anyone and everyone who are humans has a soft spot for morbidly obese people

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            The security guards/receptionist is probably grateful for the company.

(I was going to say janitor but realised that we weren't still in the 1970's...)
            I've counted just 8 spaces in this rooms and 4 next door excluding the meeting rooms. That's 120 quid a day?!?! I've been told that normally there is a full-time receptionist here. There is no way this place makes any money.

They've also said I can pay at the end of the week once I've finished. They haven't even taken my details beyond my mobile number.

How much is someone willing to bid on 12 monitors and 6 mince pies?
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              So headed down to Devon with kids, dog, wife in tow to visit my elderly mother for Xmas and her 80th Birthday in a couple of days.

Heading down that way on Wednesday. Dog + The Wife (tm) in tow. Going to visit mad mother in law.

Have told The Wife (tm) that I am off over Christmas.

Told ClientCo that I am available for work and they just need to call me.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

How much is someone willing to bid on 12 monitors and 6 mince pies?
                Does it mean you have already eaten 6 pies?

Comment

There is no way this place makes any money.
                  Here is the clue "I'm in a large quiet open plan office sponsored by the local council".

They don't have to.

Comment

I'm also the only person here! Is this normal, seems rather cheap to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X