• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Software ideas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software ideas

It turns out my plan B has been screwed by a new start up backed by some cash rich individials. Bugger.

So... Can anyone think of any missing pieces of software that need writing?
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Originally posted by TheMonkey
    It turns out my plan B has been screwed by a new start up backed by some cash rich individials. Bugger.

So... Can anyone think of any missing pieces of software that need writing?
    ? English is a rich language use it.

"I payed ten shillings to the milman who spent it on a loaf of bread then took a taxi and used half of his profits to pay the taxman. Then the goat only produced half the expected milk equity and now im left witha a 40% capital in who knows what. How do I convert WMA files into MP3 after this."

Make sense, you have all the time in the world

Comment

Originally posted by roamer
      ? English is a rich language use it.

"I payed ten shillings to the milman who spent it on a loaf of bread then took a taxi and used half of his profits to pay the taxman. Then the goat only produced half the expected milk equity and now im left witha a 40% capital in who knows what. How do I convert WMA files into MP3 after this."

Make sense, you have all the time in the world
      Quote of the day: "English is a rich language use it". Devoid of any punctuation.

Comment

One should never count on uniqueness of the software because as soon as it's out competitors will do the same and you are likely not to be ready for it. If on the other hand you enter market that is already crowded then you would HAVE TO have some serious competitive advantages and thus will put more work rather than less, and as the result it will be hard for competition to catch up easily: remember, it is the competitors who make you better, not lack of competition.

Comment

I suspect that roamer is as foreign as Muhammed Benares10 and Joshua Hallelujah Booker (whoever they might be)
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            One should never count on uniqueness of the software because as soon as it's out competitors will do the same and you are likely not to be ready for it. If on the other hand you enter market that is already crowded then you would HAVE TO have some serious competitive advantages and thus will put more work rather than less, and as the result it will be hard for competition to catch up easily: remember, it is the competitors who make you better, not lack of competition.
            I agree entirely. The market I was entering is not at all crowded but is full of rich, over-priced cowboy outfits with bad reputations. The problem is that a BIG industry heavyweight has just appeared on the scene with a beta of their own software which offers the typical MS office versus Abiword type user-base problem. They are also a big marketing machine (something I cannot afford to do really). Basically, the risk is too high for the potential return now.

I have plan C and D though which should ease the pain.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              One should never count on uniqueness of the software because as soon as it's out competitors will do the same
              It's not true. Although my SKA search engine is coming up rather well. Anytime it fails a search, a pop-up message appears displaying "mamma mia!".
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Ah's god feerin man fro de Mississipi delta me praise de lord

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Hallelujah Booker
                  Ah's god feerin man fro de Mississipi delta me praise de lord
                  Mamma mia!
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

MS office versus Abiword type user-base problem.
                    This problem is that of file format plus habit of seeing MS icons where they are, this is hard to beat. It is also cheap - few hundred quid is nothing to a company, even though it is per seat.

But if you have backend software then actual software characterstics begin to play, as well as price.

Comment

Working...
                    X