• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: deficit target in doubt as borrowing climbs in November

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear: deficit target in doubt as borrowing climbs in November

Chancellor banks on big surplus in January from tax receipts as economists say full-year borrowing target 'difficult to achieve'

The Chancellor is banking on a massive tax receipts windfall in the New Year to meet his deficit target after official figures showed UK Government borrowing rose in November.

The gap between government revenues and spending, excluding public sector banks, widened to £14.2bn last month, up from £12.9bn a year earlier, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). This represents the biggest November deficit since 2013.

While the Government's fiscal watchdog expects receipts from self-employed workers to rise in January, when data traditionally show a surplus, economists said meeting the full-year target now looked "extremely slim".

Borrowing in the first eight months of the fiscal year stood at £66.9bn, according to the ONS - just £2bn short of this year's total target of £68.9bn.

This raises the prospect that more austerity will be needed if George Osborne is to balance the books by the end of the decade.

Weak VAT receipts held revenues back in November, as did a 3.8pc jump in day-to-day spending by Government departments, the ONS data showed.

November's figures were also distorted by a £1bn drop in misconduct fines levied on Britain's banks over foreign exchange failings as well as a foreign aid payment to the World Bank.

In November, the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), the Government's fiscal watchdog, surprised analysts by revising down its deficit forecast for this fiscal year, despite it already being on track to miss its forecasts.

It also predicted a £27bn improvement in the public finances due to changes in the way it calculates VAT and national insurance contributions.

Lower debt interest payments and an announcement by the Bank of England that it would keep hold of its £375bn stockpile of asset purchases until interest rates climbed to 2pc also contributed to the improvement.

Source: George Osborne's deficit target in doubt as borrowing climbs in November - Telegraph

I am really tempted now to file my self assessment late and pay £100 fine just to wipe off smug on his face

I love the way we are reliant of bank fines to finance the debt.

November's figures were also distorted by a £1bn drop in misconduct fines levied on Britain's banks over foreign exchange failings as well as a foreign aid payment to the World Bank.

Comment

I reckon HSBC will give him a middle finger - low margin retail operation will move to Birmingham soon and wealthy money wizards will bugger off somewhere sunnier, safer without any limits on bonuses.

Comment

"Seven City banks paid a combined £21m in corporation tax in 2014, according to research by Reuters on Tuesday."

Anger at City banks paying little or no corporation tax | Business | The Guardian

Tax should not be taxing!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I love the way we are reliant of bank fines to finance the debt.

Yup, from bailed out banks already forking out billions for whatever useless crap regulators have concocted to make them "safer", PPI and other supposed mis-sales, which apparently is a "stimulus", if you ignore the amounts that is draining out of these banks. I bet the stabler banks like HSBC will eventually just fook off, leaving the worst of the lot in need of repeat bailouts. Not to worry, I'm sure the dividend tax and bank levies will cover that. Or they can just print it up and pretend that's how an economy works. That's what you learn in PPE and evidently, Geography.

Comment

On the other hand banks pay next to zero to savers, yet lend money to super safe residential property backed loans with 2-4% margin, much much higher than they could get in the past.

Comment

They have no need to pay savers anything. Central banks provide all the 'funds' for their lending operations.

Point is, they're just basically taking with one hand what they give with the other, so they're not exactly making any real "progress" that they couldn't make by just printing money.

Comment

FRS will set them free...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  "Seven City banks paid a combined £21m in corporation tax in 2014, according to research by Reuters on Tuesday."

Anger at City banks paying little or no corporation tax | Business | The Guardian

Tax should not be taxing!
                  Well, you see they apparently make a loss in the UK but more profit in other countries where the tax laws are different which, to me, begs the questions, if they make a loss in the UK, why do they still do business in the UK then? If other countries allow them to make a profit due to lax tax laws, which apparently the UK doesn't have, why don't they just move their business there? Something just doesn't really add up there does it?
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Well, you see they apparently make a loss in the UK but more profit in other countries where the tax laws are different which, to me, begs the questions, if they make a loss in the UK, why do they still do business in the UK then?
                    A better question would be - why did they still get bonuses in years when they made a loss?

Comment

Working...
                    X