• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Receipts for mileage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Receipts for mileage

Hi,

Does anyone know whether you need receipts when claiming mileage? Also I'm assuming you can claim mileage for lunch journeys?

SJD are shut until the new yr now so thought I'd ask here. A lot of conflicting a posts throughout the yrs on here.

Thanks

VC

Shouldn't do as mileage allowance is for wear and tear on the car as well which won't show on a receipt. Also you might have put in fuel that was used for something else.

That said Capita once asked me for one but I put them straight.

Comment

I just keep a spreadsheet log of the mileage. A tab for each month which has a row for each journey with the reason for the trip and the miles driven and amount claimed @ 45p per mile.

Comment

What receipt can you get for mileage?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

No you don't need to keep receipts.. Lunch journey? How far do you travel for lunch?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I thought there was some strange EU VAT thing where you were meant to keep fuel receipts if you reclaimed the VAT on the fuel element of the mileage allowance.

Or perhaps I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by paulb567 View Post
              I thought there was some strange EU VAT thing where you were meant to keep fuel receipts if you reclaimed the VAT on the fuel element of the mileage allowance.

Or perhaps I'm wrong.
              Is this what you mean? But that's for claiming the fuel back which we don't.

VAT on fuel ' the new rules | AccountingWEB

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                No you don't need to keep receipts.. Lunch journey? How far do you travel for lunch?
                Next contract may not be far from home so might come home for lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                  Next contract may not be far from home so might come home for lunch.
                  Well that will save you a fortune claiming all that mileage. Fill your boots

You gonna ask a question about claiming the stuff you bought for lunch?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy O View Post
                    I just keep a spreadsheet log of the mileage. A tab for each month which has a row for each journey with the reason for the trip and the miles driven and amount claimed @ 45p per mile.
                    Remember it's only 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles then it goes down to 25p linky
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X