• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

European Laws and Treaties

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

European Laws and Treaties

There I was reading and reviewing some spec. from a client and it referred to some law. Me having a bit of legal knowledge was surprised at one part, so thinking it wrong, looked it up in a Danish law book. Hmm, it was right, but still a little concerned that I was developing Alzheimer's Lite, looked up the relevant Danish EU doco. Hmm, still at variance. Looked up the English law: now there is something I recognise, and is what I remember. Looked at the relevant English EU doco. also agrees with my memory.

Eh! So same source doco. yet the translations are not just slightly at variance, more like right angles.

It all kinda makes sense now why people in the UK think they're being stiffed with crazy EU laws like straight cucumbers: the translations are wrong.

HTH

PS I blame comprehensive education myself.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Originally posted by threaded
    Me having a bit of legal knowledge
    You're too modest, professor.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
      You're too modest, professor.
      I am the law.

Judge Thread(ed).
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
        I am the law.

Judge Thread(ed).

Comment

Being searching around and found loads of examples. Think I shall package it all up and find a newspaper willing to pay for it. Which do you recon: Daily Mail, or Torygraph or ?

Even found the source for the "straight cucumber". The English says that cucumbers should not exhibit "abnormal" curvature, but the Danish says "excessive". You may think it's only a matter of emphasis, but you ought to see the stuff that sparked my search off: it's to do with supervision in financial services.

Anyways, for a bit of a laugh I bought a "couple of pounds" of apples in the grocers yesterday. Understand that's not allowed in the UK either: not only the grocers being open on a Sunday, but selling fruit and veg by the 'pund' (Dansk for pound).

Comment

Laws only mean anything when they benefit you. If they hinder you get them changed.

Comment

Quite right! My calculations show that my client makes a considerable saving in being based in Scandinavia but selling financial services in the UK as compared to if they were 100% in the UK.

Comment

Working...
              X