• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corruption at work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corruption at work

I just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this at their workplace. I have led two test teams as a Test Lead on major government projects (via an outsourcing company) and on both occasions there were contract testers on the team for no reason whatsoever. Basically just employed because they were mates with the Test manager and having hardly any IT skills at all. On the one occasion a new test manager was employed so I told him and he got rid of the the dodgy testers employed by my previous Test Manager. But on a previous project when I told the Test Manager I was completely ignored. I thought that this type of thing happened in third world countries but I am shocked to see it happen in the UK!

Yes, and we never cheat at cards and always pay our taxes. There are dead weights in most projects.

Welcome to the real world. Happy New Year...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Happens all the time on defence projects, folk hired on the military old boys network despite being totally inappropriate skills wise.

Only place worse is the Indian outsourcers where promotion and hiring is all to do with caste, race and religion.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
        Happens all the time on defence projects, folk hired on the military old boys network despite being totally inappropriate skills wise.

Only place worse is the Indian outsourcers where promotion and hiring is all to do with caste, race and religion.
        Yes.

It is always best to keep your head down. You are unlikely to be able to change anything.

Comment

I was brought in at a large bank in the UK to take over development of an app. It was promoted, and paid for by the 'special projects' team and overrode the objections of the IT dept.
          The structure was like an inverted pyramid, with loads of senior managers, project managers, team leaders, testers ..and one lonely little developer at the bottom, doing all the work.
          She was a plucky little soul and did a good job , considering she was fresh out of uni.
          All these people, about 20 of them, were from one of the big five and the bank man know them very well.
          anyways, I went to see the IT manager at the end of day 1 and told him I wasn't coming back. The IT department went into overdrive to get me to stay, they obviously hated what was going on as much as I did.

two evenings later, after hours, two looming figures stood behind me at my desk and told me to 'f off'
          or I would never work in IT again.

So I rewrote the app and did 12 more projects before moving on
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Does any of that stop you invoicing?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                That's where you're going wrong then

Comment

Program manager of a client used to work for a BigConsultancy. His former team formed LittleConsultancy, who he then hired as the consultancy partner for the project. His wife held a significant shareholding in LittleConsultancy. Any permie who looked like to be a danger to LittleConsultancy soon left/was forced to leave.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

People might think the job of the big consultancies is to get the job done, but their real role is to get as many of their consultants on the project as possible.

A few projects ago, one of the big system integrators kindly gave us a couple of graduates to use. Cost the project £500 a day each to do little more than filing and learn as much as they could "on the job".

Comment

Working...
                    X