• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor - 2 + years? Holiday entitlement?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor - 2 + years? Holiday entitlement?

Hi all,

I was hoping for some advise.

I am employed by an umbrella company and i have been working on the same contract for 2 years (on going extension every 6 months).

As everyone is aware, i cant claim my expenses (mileage and sustenance as i am still at the same location).

However i have a question related to holiday entitlement. As i have been working on the same contract for 2 years can i have the same benefits in terms of holidays as permanent staff? Currently i dont get paid for any holidays i take (including bank holidays/Christmas period etc)

When my contract was up for re-newel i handed in my 1 weeks notice as financially it wasn't worth working at the location as i wasn't able to mileage etc . They offered to increase my salary to compensate for the tax increase which i agreed to . 1 of the consultants who also works as a contractor advised me to speak to them regarding holiday entitlement as he said i may be in the position to get paid for my holidays.

Any advise would be great!

I hope you had a Merry Christmas and i hope you have a happy new year!!

If you can get the end client to pay you for a certain number of days a year when you're not working for them, then great. I don't really understand why you are asking the question?

You're not entitled to any "holiday pay" from the client as you're not employed by them. Any holiday pay from your brolly comes from the fee your agency pays the brolly.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If you're after a perm job, why not ask the client if there is one available? If not, it's unreasonable to expect them to pay contract rates then expect holiday pay on top. Your brolly will already be making deductions for holiday pay.

(Oh, and it's advice, not advise )

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        You're not entitled to any "holiday pay" from the client as you're not employed by them. Any holiday pay from your brolly comes from the fee your agency pays the brolly.
        I am not so sure. After a while you do effectively become an employee. Which is why big companies do have limits on length of time that contractors are employed for.

I suspect that if you ask then you will have your contract terminated immediately.

Comment

Ok - Fair point about paying me for not working haha!

I prefer to stay as a contractor due to the flexibility on moving between contracts to gain experience Well until i find a organisation which can offer its staff progression within the organisation (For those staff who show commitment/provide ideas and like to get involved obviously).
          From my experience as a contractor and worked for various organisations, majority of the management only really promote their 'friends' or colleagues who don't challenge their decisions or have common traits (such as smoking, gaming, gambling, alcohol and drugs.. yes drugs! )

Thanks guys.

Comment

If you want the same terms as permies go permie.

When my contract was up for re-newel i handed in my 1 weeks notice as financially it wasn't worth working at the location as i wasn't able to mileage etc . They offered to increase my salary to compensate for the tax increase which i agreed to . 1 of the consultants who also works as a contractor advised me to speak to them regarding holiday entitlement as he said i may be in the position to get paid for my holidays.
            In this paragraph who is 'them'? The umbrella or the client?
            You don't need to hand your notice in at the end of a contract, you just don't accept the renewal.
            It's not really a tax increase is it.
            The other consultant is taking the piss and having a good laugh at your expense.

I'm thinking you don't have a very good grasp on your situation and what you do which I'd suggest you understand better.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 31 December 2015, 15:35.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              If you want the same terms as permies go permie.

In this paragraph who is 'them'? The umbrella or the client?
              You don't need to hand your notice in at the end of a contract, you just don't accept the renewal.
              It's not really a tax increase is it.
              The other consultant is taking the piss and having a good laugh at your expense.

I'm thinking you don't have a very good grasp on your situation and what you do which I'd suggest you understand better.
              I deal directly with the client. And im sure if you had some common sense, you would know one would like to discuss the re-newel terms of any contract a few weeks prior to it ending.

Yes you are correct, technically its not a tax increase, however when you will be tax £600 a week as opposed to £450 then i like to say its a increase

Yes as you are the 'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner... I know you would be smart enough to say "why dont you go limited"? Well due to reasons which i wont diverge into... i cant set up a LTD just yet

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I am not so sure. After a while you do effectively become an employee. .
                Rubbish. If you are employee of company A who supply you to company B you have no rights, whatsoever, with company B.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Through an umbrella you say? Yes.

26 days holiday minimm in accordance with emoyment law.

Same in fact as any employee of any company. Including all those directors.

it is obviously the emloyer that need to provide it. Not the end client.

likely it will be at minimum wage or however your employment contract is structured.

Comment

Originally posted by jdotr View Post
                    I deal directly with the client. And im sure if you had some common sense, you would know one would like to discuss the re-newel terms of any contract a few weeks prior to it ending.

Yes you are correct, technically its not a tax increase, however when you will be tax £600 a week as opposed to £450 then i like to say its a increase

Yes as you are the 'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner... I know you would be smart enough to say "why dont you go limited"? Well due to reasons which i wont diverge into... i cant set up a LTD just yet

No need to be rude.

It normally works like this -
                    You -> limited/umbrella -> agency -> client

Therefore if you want a rate rise or a renewal you have to go through the agency.

Sometimes it works like this -
                    You -> limited/umbrella -> client

Therefore if you want a rate rise or a renewal you ask the client.

Then there are scenarios like this -
                    You -> agency -> client
                    Or this -
                    You -> limited/umbrella -> agency -> client A -> client B
                    etc

There is no way of us knowing unless you explicitly state it whether your situation is the first, the second or some other form.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X