• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

sleepwalking into a new reality of permanently lower growth and higher debt.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sleepwalking into a new reality of permanently lower growth and higher debt.

Mapped: how a demographic time bomb will transform the global economy - Telegraph

Is it really an issue? If so, how do we get round this?

Are all newspapers of the left-leaning variety now, continuing to espouse higher GDP as a good thing, with immigration the only solution?

What we need is a higher quality GDP. A stable population improving themselves and the economy through better education and health, increased manufacturing and exports of quality products, less red tape and bureaucracy for small to medium businesses. Unfortunately we won't get any of that from either side - Labour wants us all to be the lowest common denominator, and the Tories want to keep wages and enterprise down so their mates in big business reap the rewards.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      Are all newspapers of the click-baiting variety now?
      FTFY

Comment

Interesting our experience with Migrants varies so much when compared with France & Germany.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...n_3535022b.jpg

oh is that the smell of freshly cooked books?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Interesting our experience with Migrants varies so much when compared with France & Germany.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...n_3535022b.jpg

oh is that the smell of freshly cooked books?
          We have lots of non-EU immigrants who can't access public funds.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Ask Charles Ponzi.

The solution is to stop sponsoring dysgenic breeding programs funded by the producers of the country.

Then when the riff-raff stop breeding so much, and the producers therefore have more wealth to be able to breed more themselves, it's not unreasonable to suggest that we can still prosper and see growth even with relatively low birth rates.

And a much smaller amount of growth would be necessary for the steady increase in standards of living that we're used to, if that growth weren't necessary to offset the Ponzi-aspect of the financial system too.

A couple of percent growth should be making things awesome for us. Instead it's necessary just to tread water.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              The solution is to stop sponsoring dysgenic breeding programs funded by the producers of the country.
              Erm, who is going to be paying your pension???

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Why do we need a pension? Why can't robots look after us in our old age?

Though if a painless death is on offer that might be preferable?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Me. I'm under no illusion as to whether there will be any money for me or not when I come of age.
                  The less I have to fund single mums & loafers, the more likely it will be that I will be able to fund my own retirement.

*if* you suppose that offspring are required to fund one's retirement, then you are electing to participate in a Ponzi scheme (by definition - I'm not choosing the word as a synonym for 'scam' or suchlike) - and hoping that it's (presumably?) your far off descendants that foot the final bill, rather than your more immediate and mentally tangible children & grandchildren?

At the end of the day, if you can't afford it yourself then someone else must be paying for it. Who pays for them?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                    Me. I'm under no illusion as to whether there will be any money for me or not when I come of age.
                    If you think your cushy private pension pot won't be robbed blinds in the name of fairness then you truly deserve it to happen ...

Comment

Working...
                    X