• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Skills Assessment for working in Australia - Claimable Expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skills Assessment for working in Australia - Claimable Expense?

Hey guys, hope I have posted this in the right place. I have a quick question regarding expenses. I am a self-employed healthcare professional currently working in the UK. Due to salary capping and because of funding issues within the NHS there is a dip in the market at the moment. I have decided not to limit work to the UK and currently in the process of having a skills assessment for working in Australia. My question is can I claim these application fees as expenses? The advise from my accountant is no as I would gain a personal benefit from it. I am a looking for a second opinion here.

Originally posted by Givemepatience View Post
    Hey guys, hope I have posted this in the right place. I have a quick question regarding expenses. I am a self-employed healthcare professional currently working in the UK. Due to salary capping and because of funding issues within the NHS there is a dip in the market at the moment. I have decided not to limit work to the UK and currently in the process of having a skills assessment for working in Australia. My question is can I claim these application fees as expenses? The advise from my accountant is no as I would gain a personal benefit from it. I am a looking for a second opinion here.
    Yes* you can claim them
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Givemepatience View Post
      The advise from my accountant is no as I would gain a personal benefit from it. I am a looking for a second opinion here.
      ADVICE!!... Your bloody accountant gave you ADVICE!!!

Arghhhhhhhhhhh
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Yes* you can claim them

<mod snip>
        Awwww mods mods... see what he did.... MOOOOOODS!!!!

It's about eligibility to live in Aus isn't it... so not wholly and exclusively surely? Why do you need a second opinion as to whether there is personal benefit to living?
        Last edited by northernladuk; 4 January 2016, 13:54.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You might be able to claim them as expenses against your Australian company.

Ask an Aussie accountant, your UK one will be giving you advice based on your UK company, UK tax and working in the UK. These assessments are about working in Aus, paying tax in Aus and (possibly) setting up an Aus company.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I'm not sure how it stands if you're self employed but if you were a company director or employee then I would say this probably isn't allowable as it isn't wholly, exclusively or necessary for your job, it's in fact putting you in a position to find new work and like new skills training I'm not sure it would be allowable.

Having said that, I'm sure you could claim for it and argue your case later if questioned. I don't think it's a black or white thing. This is just my opinion but you've had your accountants opinion too and he also says not allowable. It's up to you whether you follow that advice or not.

Comment

I can't see how you would claim via you UK limited; it would be a bad idea to work via your UK ltd in Australia and I very much doubt you would setup an ASB in Australia unless you pass the 80/20 rule (bit like IR35 but with clearer rules).

More than likely you would end up as PAYG via an umbrella type company.

If that is the case, you could probably include the cost of the assessment in your Australian tax return which would likely result in a greater tax saving than it would if you put it though your ltd in the first place.
                Last edited by Mister Clark; 5 January 2016, 12:46.

Comment

IMHO definite duality of purpose so no not allowable
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Yes. I did see it.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X