• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A bleak Christmas for low paid permies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bleak Christmas for low paid permies

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6054882.stm

Thousands of families are facing a bleak Christmas after a UK hamper company suddenly ceased trading.

Customers of Farepak, owned by European Home Retail (EHR), paid money monthly to the firm or its agents towards food hampers for the festive season.

BDO Stoy Hayward has now been appointed administrator of the Swindon firm.

It said Farepak was "unable to honour its commitments to make deliveries of any vouchers, hampers or other items" to its tens of thousands of customers.

http://www.farepak.co.uk/

No tinned ham and bag of mixed nuts for you now.

If they paid with credit card then they should be protected.

In other news hard-working City workers get highest bonus on record - 8 bln GBP this year or so, looks like it is good time to buy couple of Porsche and Ferrari cars to resell at higher value in December: I hear threaded wants to get rid of his Lambo in favour of newer model that works on garbage and can take off vertically.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      If they paid with credit card then they should be protected.

In other news hard-working City workers get highest bonus on record - 8 bln GBP this year or so, looks like it is good time to buy couple of Porsche and Ferrari cars to resell at higher value in December: I hear threaded wants to get rid of his Lambo in favour of newer model that works on garbage and can take off vertically.
      Very funny!

If they had a credit card why would they be saving in a Christmas club?

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
        If they had a credit card why would they be saving in a Christmas club?
        If they had cash, why would not they put it into separate bank account where it would have been kept safe until Day X? Then use credit card to place order to be covered for event of bankrupcy of the company that took order.

Comment

Atw, I haven't got a credit card and won't get one either. If I want something I'll go and buy and pay no interest at all.
          As to why people do it this way its quite simply the only way they can afford to save for Xmas as they have to budget. Having it in a savings club means they can only draw on it at the allocated time!!!
          So please come back down to earth not everyone is loaded!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pig
            So please come back down to earth not everyone is loaded!!
            This is true, but it's not the issue - they still have to get quiet a lot of money £30 per month works out £360 pa, so they do have money, obviously not in one go and I understand that they go for this club crap because they can't control themselves and afraid they will spend that money if it is somewhere around stored as cash or even in bank account. And this is exactly the problem these people have - their problem is not that they are not loaded, or that the firm gone bust, their problem is that they can't control themselves and can't save money in safe way!

At the very least they could have bought some saving stamps or even premium bonds.

Comment

Atw, your sprouting sh1t you need to join the real world!! Your looking out of rose tinted specs!!!
              If they had the money they wouldn't need savings club but coz they don't have the money they need to save somewhere! Not a matter of control a simple matter of neccessity!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pig
                If they had the money they wouldn't need savings club but coz they don't have the money they need to save somewhere!
                Let's think logically about it.

Here is what we know pretty much for sure:

1) People wanted some expensive present at the end of period ~12 months
                2) People saved every month about 1/12th of the amount - this was put into "club" framework
                3) People lost their money because "club" gone bust

The problem here is not monetary - these people had the money to save, but the problem is where they put the money, that club thing that gone bust. So the question is why they put money into club and did not use savings account, piggy bank, or savings stamps?

Main reason IMO is that people were just not sure they would not raid those savings during the year, so they used far away club to avoid the temptation. This is the main problem for the people - they can't control themselves, not the lack of money that they obviously had to save as otherwise they would not have lost anything: I am all for people saving money for purchase rather than using credit card (I never use it myself), but it is the way how they saved it that was wrong - just put money into savings account, or buy stamps if you really can't control yourself.

Secondary reason is, probably, they were getting some discount on that present so they thought they would buy more for less: this is always false economy and it was demonstrated clearly in this case.

Comment

Let's think logically about it.

Here is what we know pretty much for sure:

1) People wanted some expensive present at the end of period ~12 months [B]- Wrong this is just assumption most just want to give their families something not so much expensive present[/B]
                  2) People saved every month about 1/12th of the amount - this was put into "club" framework [COLOR=Navy]- True[/COLOR]
                  3) People lost their money because "club" gone bust [COLOR=Navy]- True, bit evident really[/COLOR]

The problem here is not monetary - these people had the money to save, but the problem is where they put the money, that club thing that gone bust. So the question is why they put money into club and did not use savings account, piggy bank, or savings stamps? - Cr@p, they budgetted to save money for a particular purpose where as what your saying is accessible anytime

Main reason IMO is that people were just not sure they would not raid those savings during the year, so they used far away club to avoid the temptation. This is the main problem for the people - they can't control themselves, not the lack of money that they obviously had to save as otherwise they would not have lost anything: I am all for people saving money for purchase rather than using credit card (I never use it myself [B]- why have one then????[/B]), but it is the way how they saved it that was wrong - just put money into savings account, or buy stamps if you really can't control yourself. - Glad this is just your opinion coz it is still not right. Try living on a budget and see how hard it is, allow yourself a minimum amount per week then see how easy it is to not touch extra.

Secondary reason is, probably, they were getting some discount on that present so they thought they would buy more for less: this is always false economy and it was demonstrated clearly in this case. - Have a look at these clubs they do not give discounts, more often then not things a ******* sight more expensive

Comment

The problem is not that they budged - this is something I support wholeheatedly as my policy is not to buy something if I can't pay for it in full.

The problem is that they saved using inherently flawed risky way and now they got burnt. The primary cause for this mistake in my view was their (people's) inability to control themselves at actually saving money - they certainly put it into far away club out of fear that otherwise they would not save for it.

Thus, people would have been better off by working on the underlieing root problem that they have - can't save in an old fashioned way by putting cash where it is safe - bank.

FYI I am living on a very limited budget with few luxuries. This was made possible however because I saved a lot in the past few years of working my arse off. I kept money in the bank - so I do know a thing or two about savings.

Comment

Working...
                    X