• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limited company to Umbrella, will that avoid ir35 issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited company to Umbrella, will that avoid ir35 issues

Hi,

I am a new IT contractor seeking advice.

If my limited company is going to be closed down , from an audit or similar , can I switch to a Umbrella company and stay contracting?

I am thinking of swapping to a cheaper accountant, but they dont seem too familiar with the ir35 policies .

I started looking through the topics and reading on this site and it was very time consuming to find the info - so was hoping I could ask.

Thanks in advance

James

Yes you can and ir35 won't be an issue if you are brolly. Cheap accountants can cost you a lot of money and heartache so stay away from them.

Lisa runs contractorumbrella and posts on here regularly so you should give them a call first.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Yes you can and ir35 won't be an issue if you are brolly. Cheap accountants can cost you a lot of money and heartache so stay away from them.

Lisa runs contractorumbrella and posts on here regularly so you should give them a call first.
      A bit like traffic isn't an issue if you walk blindfold down the middle lane of the M1?

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
        A bit like traffic isn't an issue if you walk blindfold down the middle lane of the M1?
        The north or south carriageway?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by doubledragon View Post
          Hi,

I am a new IT contractor seeking advice.

If my limited company is going to be closed down , from an audit or similar , can I switch to a Umbrella company and stay contracting?

I am thinking of swapping to a cheaper accountant, but they dont seem too familiar with the ir35 policies .

I started looking through the topics and reading on this site and it was very time consuming to find the info - so was hoping I could ask.

Thanks in advance

James
          Hi James

Yes you can move to an umbrella company IR35 won't be an issue as you will be paid via PAYE.
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Depends what you mean by "issue".

If you mean the worry and hassle of being investigated in regards to IR35, then no.

If you mean incurring the costs of being in IR35, then a PAYE umbrella doesn't help - as you get taxed as if you are inside IR35 anyway - in fact slightly worse.

Comment

Originally posted by doubledragon View Post
              ...If my limited company is going to be closed down , from an audit or similar...
              What the heck does that mean?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                Depends what you mean by "issue".

If you mean the worry and hassle of being investigated in regards to IR35, then no.

If you mean incurring the costs of being in IR35, then a PAYE umbrella doesn't help - as you get taxed as if you are inside IR35 anyway - in fact slightly worse.
                Especially with the T&S changes coming in in April, brollies just got even less appealing...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  What the heck does that mean?
                  I think it means he's already been caught and is hoping by closing down the Ltd. and joining a brolly he can evade the tax he owes.

Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    I think it means he's already been caught and is hoping by closing down the Ltd. and joining a brolly he can evade the tax he owes.

Comment

Working...
                    X