• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should exams be moved to accomodate Muslims?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should exams be moved to accomodate Muslims?

Exams to be taken earlier in the day to fit around Ramadan, exam boards say - Telegraph

Why can't Muslims undergoing exams break their fast? Or move to a non-Christian country?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Exams to be taken earlier in the day to fit around Ramadan, exam boards say - Telegraph

Why can't Muslims undergoing exams break their fast? Or move to a non-Christian country?
    I don't think the current exam timings are anything to do with the country's Christian legacy.

Comment

Why do you think there are no Exams at Easter?!

No harm in trying to see if its feasible, non story to be fair
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

They sort of are in the sense we don't go to school or work (mostly) on Sunday, and many of our holiday days/periods are based around the church calendar. But that is only historically, not due to people's actual faith.

I wonder if there are more genuine (i.e. faith not culture) Muslims or Christians in the UK right now? It might be quite close, if Islam becomes the most dominant faith here then what?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          I don't think the current exam timings are anything to do with the country's Christian legacy.
          True. They should move to a muslim country which would not have exams at Ramadan.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Why do you think there are no Exams at Easter?!

No harm in trying to see if its feasible, non story to be fair
          Why affect hundreds of thousand of non-Muslim children?

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          They sort of are in the sense we don't go to school or work (mostly) on Sunday, and many of our holiday days/periods are based around the church calendar. But that is only historically, not due to people's actual faith.

I wonder if there are more genuine (i.e. faith not culture) Muslims or Christians in the UK right now? It might be quite close, if Islam becomes the most dominant faith here then what?
          The Christian heritage has done this country a lot of good. A shame it is all based on nonsense.
          If any minority (Christian/Muslim) tries to "inflict" their "core values" on a majority then Enoch Powell might be proved right. But it wont get that far.

Comment

No they shouldn't. Fecking stupid idea. Fix it at a sensible point and let everyone get on with their lives. Same goes for Easter.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              The bottom line is that Muslims make up around just 5% of the UKs population.
              Given that, many I know can't believe they are fussed over so much
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

absolutely not

exams in UK schools are at a certain time and always have been

if you do not like it 2 choices

1) Go to a private school which does not do exams when your faith says you cannot work
                2) Go to a country which fits it's educational programme around your particular faith

these are definitely the sort of things which we should not as a country spend any money on

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Why affect hundreds of thousand of non-Muslim children?
                  So in your view its OK to discriminate against one faith but not the another?
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Nobody's saying there shouldn't be exams in Ramadan, just that they should be earlier in the day to make it easier for the significant number of people that are fasting. But then despite talking about it for decades they've never moved exams to make it easier for the significant number of people who have Hay Fever.

You could say exams are a test of how you'd cope with real life work pressure, and in real life Muslims will still have to go to work whilst fasting for Ramadan.

(I note that Chrome thinks Ramadan is a spelling error, but is okay with Xmas).
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X