• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decisions, decisions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decisions, decisions

An hour of TV watching a day, or a bacon sandwich a couple of times a week, is more dangerous to your long-term health. In contrast, an average driver faces much less than this lifetime risk from a car accident. It all seems to come down to what pleasure you get from moderate drinking.
    Men's recommended weekly alcohol limit cut to 14 units | Society | The Guardian
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

This Chief Medical Officer is asking for all her advice to be ignored

She seems to have forgotten about the social-economic and mental health aspect of why people do things as if you keep saying not to do things people will eventually ignore you.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Indeedy. A few years ago I did the 2 days a week without booze thing. Lasted all the way till June That seems much more achievable for most.

Comment

Within 10 or so articles of each other in The Independent online yesterday were two articles:
        - Why researchers are now going to say that red wine (even small amounts) is now bad for you
        - Why there's a new revolutionary diet consisting of chocolate and red wine...

I give up, I don't think even the journos read their own paper to grasp the irony.

Comment

Was listing to Radio 4 this morning, and as well as internally arguing over the fewer/less debate (less alcohol, fewer units, I think) they said the risk of not drinking and the risk of drinking within the new limits are the same.

Don't drink and you increase your risk of heart disease, drink and increase your risk of cancer!

Last comment was "are we allowed to drink on days the doctors are on strike" which got a few laughs
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Load of horsetulip as SE quite rightly pointed out.

It got me thinking on the drive in this morning though. If I have always reported my alcohol intake to be ~21 units when asked by medical persons and life insurers etc, can I now expect my risk profile to be adjusted since i've consistently been consuming 50% more than is good for me?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Indeedy. A few years ago I did the 2 days a week without booze thing. Lasted all the way till June That seems much more achievable for most.
              I've not drunk yet this year, would say I will keep it going for Dry January but leaving do tonight and (Irish) funeral in a week or so, so plenty of drinking there
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Lemmy was continually drunk but still made it to 70.

Maybe when people has consumed a certain amount of alcohol, say 10 cases of spirits, they should be shot as a warning to others it is bad for you.....

Comment

An hour of TV watching a day, or a bacon sandwich a couple of times a week, is more dangerous to your long-term health.
                  What about 8 hours in front of a computer?

How come they've reduced the limit for men but not for women? Does this mean the average woman now weighs the same as the average man? Or are women just better at handling their alcohol.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                    It got me thinking on the drive in this morning though. If I have always reported my alcohol intake to be ~21 units when asked by medical persons and life insurers etc, can I now expect my risk profile to be adjusted since i've consistently been consuming 50% more than is good for me?
                    Nope as it depends on your genes and their interaction with the environment.

There are people who end up with lung cancer who have never smoked in their lives simply due to either working in a smokey environment and/or living in a particular area.

So until they map everyone's DNA and can say with 99% accuracy that you will end up with these diseases due to where you live and work, they can't do anything.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X