• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension rule changes - most money ends up in BTL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pension rule changes - most money ends up in BTL

Most British savers fully cashed out pension pots on retirement after rule changes | Money | The Guardian

Financial Conduct Authority study finds 68% of pensions accessed between July and September were cashed out,

Citing previous research undertaken with pollsters YouGov, Greer said much of the money may have been used to invest in buy-to-let property but increases in the tax paid on second homes would likely curtail demand in future.

Sounds like a good plan. house prices can only go up. buy all you can now.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I bought two dozen this morning already.

YOU CANNOT LOSE!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      I bought two dozen this morning already.

YOU CANNOT LOSE!
      Wimp. Even my butler bought more than that.

Comment

Another crazy government action. Maybe we need a rule that says, is someone has blown an adequate pension pot, they will not be eligible for welfare.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Another crazy government action. Maybe we need a rule that says, is someone has blown an adequate pension pot, they will not be eligible for welfare.
          we need a law that says a pension & annuity should be a good deal if you are forced to buy it not a way to line insurance company pockets.

If they stipulated it should be more effective than just throwing the money in the bank then it might make more people invest.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

What are the rules with cashing out your pension pot ?

When I was looking into it, in case I cashed out my German pension I got the impression they tax 75% of it at "full whack".

i.e. you get say 100 grand then 75 grand would be at taxed 20 and 40%

which is a bit steep, considering that the contributions weren't tax free, that means I'm being taxed on taxed income.

My conclusion is if I return to the UK, I should cash it in before I go back.

Just wondering whether in this case it should be regarded as life insurance for which only the gains are taxed.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 8 January 2016, 11:06.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Most British savers fully cashed out pension pots on retirement after rule changes | Money | The Guardian

Financial Conduct Authority study finds 68% of pensions accessed between July and September were cashed out,

Citing previous research undertaken with pollsters YouGov, Greer said much of the money may have been used to invest in buy-to-let property but increases in the tax paid on second homes would likely curtail demand in future.

No wonder our economy is the envy of the developed world.

BOOMED

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

The lazy way to invest in the UK house price giveaway.

About Harewood Associates | Asset Backed Property Investment

Stick you life savings, pension pot and everything else and get 10% - 20% pa return, all backed by the UK govt's favourite ponzi scheme.

Comment

The lazy way to invest in the UK house price giveaway.

About Harewood Associates | Asset Backed Property Investment

Stick you life savings, pension pot and everything else and get 10% - 20% pa return, all backed by the UK govt's favourite ponzi scheme.

That's clinched it for me!

Comment

That's clinched it for me!
                    Nothing in The Express, I always trust them, on these sorts of matters
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X