• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cameron could extend tax credits ban to British expats to reach EU deal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well if he does that I guess we'll have to move back to the UK... we're offered tax credits the now without paying any money into the system. Free money I tell you. Plenty for all.

Cameron could extend tax credits ban to British expats to reach EU deal | Politics | The Guardian

David Cameron outside No 10
    British expatriates could be banned from claiming tax credits for up to four years as part of a compromise deal David Cameron is negotiating with fellow EU leaders, the Guardian understands.

In an attempt to win support for his proposal to ban EU migrants from claiming in-work benefits for four years, the prime minister is looking at whether the ban could apply to Britons who live abroad for four years or more.

The plan could prove controversial among British workers who take advantage of EU free movement rules to relocate to countries such as Spain, and who would expect to be able to top up low wages through tax credits on their return to Britain.

Downing Street appears to be ready to risk a row with such expatriates as the price for brokering a compromise with fellow EU leaders on Cameron’s welfare proposals, which are the most difficult part of his EU renegotiation.

The prime minister looks to be reaching out to fellow EU leaders by signalling that the four-year ban on in-work benefits would only apply to new arrivals to the UK from other EU countries. This means that about a million migrant workers from the Visegrad group of countries – Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia – working in the UK would be free to continue claiming tax credits without any restrictions.

Cameron is telling EU leaders that he wants to deal with the “artificial draw” of the UK’s non-contributory welfare system in attracting migrants. This does not apply to EU migrants who have already settled in the UK.

The strength of feeling about the proposed ban was highlighted in Budapest on Thursday when the prime minister’s Hungarian counterpart, Viktor Orbán, told him to alter the plan or risk portraying EU workers as parasites. Orbán said he was confident the Visegrad group would reach an agreement with Cameron on his welfare reforms. But the Hungarian prime minister said the reforms must not discriminate against citizens from the Visegrad countries and other EU member states who are entitled to claim tax credits in the UK.

The easiest way to avoid charges of discrimination would be for the four-year ban on in-work benefits to also apply to British citizens. But a proposal discussed in Downing Street a few months ago, which would have applied the ban to British citizens aged 18-22, has been shelved for the moment.

The prime minister is telling EU citizens that imposing the restriction on UK citizens of this age would undermine a key incentive that encourages young people into work. The chancellor is a strong critic of tax credits, which will eventually be replaced by universal credit. For the moment, and before the “national living wage” reaches £9 an hour in 2020, ministers acknowledge the importance of tax credits.

But Cameron is prepared to go some way to evading the discrimination charge by applying the ban to UK citizens who have lived abroad for more than four years. British officials say ideas for a possible compromise are not fixed.

The sign of movement in the negotiations came amid a growing sense that Downing Street believes Cameron is on course to secure a deal with EU leaders that will allow him to recommend a yes vote in the upcoming referendum. However, he may have to wait until March to reach an agreement.

Philip Hammond, the foreign secretary, who has previously floated the idea of voting to leave the EU in the event of a breakdown in the negotiations, said he could not anticipate voting no if Cameron secured a deal. He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “I can’t envisage us negotiating a deal which the prime minister thinks is good enough to recommend to the British people and which I feel I want to campaign against. I can’t envisage that circumstance.”
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

And?

Google the rules for carers allowance.

Cameron is making a political fuss over rules he should change for everyone - and yes I've been fully in a foreign tax system.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Slightly off topic, but you should see the number of British early retirees in Spain horrified that their cold weather payments are to be cut.

I nearly get lynched every time I point out it is pretty warm here.

No doubt these cold weather payments are being spent in the bars where they are having these discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
        Slightly off topic, but you should see the number of British early retirees in Spain horrified that their cold weather payments are to be cut.

I nearly get lynched every time I point out it is pretty warm here.
        It's not warm in the whole of Spain in winter.

Though again there is nothing wrong in changing the rules to state if you are not living in the UK you don't get them by simply pointing out they are for people residing in the UK permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          It's not warm in the whole of Spain in winter.

Though again there is nothing wrong in changing the rules to state if you are not living in the UK you don't get them by simply pointing out they are for people residing in the UK permanently.
          Yes you are right. Let me be clear, I fully support benefits & welfare used properly, but must rant a little.

I hold an ATPL so often get to fly in the observer seat on a former client's fleet.

The PIC will take the number of Romeos (wheelchairs) on departure and request a quarter of those when radioing ground services at AGP, because he knows people miraculously get cured when leaving UK airspace.

I would like to see better enforcement of benefit cheating, rather than these headline sweeping cuts that attract votes but hurt those who genuinely need help, and if anything should be getting more.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
            Yes you are right. Let me be clear, I fully support benefits & welfare used properly, but must rant a little.

I hold an ATPL so often get to fly in the observer seat on a former client's fleet.

The PIC will take the number of Romeos (wheelchairs) on departure and request a quarter of those when radioing ground services at AGP, because he knows people miraculously get cured when leaving UK airspace.

I would like to see better enforcement of benefit cheating, rather than these headline sweeping cuts that attract votes but hurt those who genuinely need help, and if anything should be getting more.
            How would you do that though?

Lots of disabilities both physical and mental are intermittent. However when they affect the individual they can be so bad they can't work. While this is fine if it's a couple of days some episodes take months to resolve. (I can think of 4 people I know of the top of my head and one now lives in a care home even though he's in his 30's. ) This is no good for an employer who needs someone to turn up on a regular basis. The only thing an employer can do is manage that person out of the company leaving the tax payer to foot that person's benefits bill.

Anyway if you look at the welfare system figures it's pensions and housing benefit that make up most of the costs. The pension figure while it would be reduced a tiny amount if the government was stricter on some aspects it wouldn't make much over all difference. However if more properties where built in commuting distance of jobs then rents would go down and so would the housing benefit bill.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Anyway if you look at the welfare system figures it's pensions and housing benefit that make up most of the costs...
              But it suits the government to magnify the benefits issue, because then they don't have to take action on the real issues.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                But it suits the government to magnify the benefits issue, because then they don't have to take action on the real issues.
                What real issues? Everything is fine. Could not be better.

Comment

We don't really claim tax credits abroad. But I continue to find the PM actions irritating. Investment must be made instead of chasing pensioners in Spain.

The pettifogging over tax credits, just get on with it and remove them. Why are we compensating families of 2+ children with the extra income they don't have but need? Retrospective application is not fair of course, but the message for future families is unchanged. That surely has to stop. And that's just looking at savings.

Osbourne claims the economy is on a sound footing and rebounding under his chancellorship. Actually the towel stacker has bankrupted the country. We're bankrupt. Debt has doubled under the Tories and they're solution continues to shunt out cuts. The result? More debt.

In time the reset button will be pressed for us or we QE ourselves out of existence. Right now we have the luxury of saying when it'll be pressed and nothing more.

Did you notice the recent sell off of Chinese shares? Where did investors put their cash? Into currency. Swiss Franc, Euro, and Dollar. £ for 6th on the list!! The Euro almost gained 10 cents on the pound on the Chinese sell off. The reason given was the Euro was seen as a more flexible currency.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The Tories in the House of Commons tried to remove them but the Labour and Liberal peers in the House of Lords stopped them.

If Labour wanted to have any chance of getting into government they shot themselves the foot by not getting their non-elected peers to not turn up.

Comment

Working...
                    X