• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A good time to be buying a house?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good time to be buying a house?

UK House Prices to Crash

I've lost count of the number of articles I've read over the years that have predicted the same thing.

Difference is this time, the impact of the BTL changes:
    A survey of landlords suggested 200,000 plan to exit the sector
    . If true, that's got to have some effect on house prices?

I'm about to be taking out quite a bit more exposure; what with this, the predicted turmoil on the stockmarket and the future of contracting still up in the air, I'm beginning to get cold feet.

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    UK House Prices to Crash

I've lost count of the number of articles I've read over the years that have predicted the same thing.

Difference is this time, the impact of the BTL changes: . If true, that's got to have some effect on house prices?

I'm about to be taking out quite a bit more exposure; what with this, the predicted turmoil on the stockmarket and the future of contracting still up in the air, I'm beginning to get cold feet.
    As I own a house for my family to live in rather than trying to make money from it means rather than wasting my life worrying about this I live it instead , TBH I've go no sympathy for mortgage (not buy) to letters in debt up to their eyeballs so that the poor and young can play their mortgage for them, if prices come down that's a good thing IMO!

Comment

I had an issue like this, when to go into the market. I developed a formula. The numbers don't lie, it just depends on how good your research is.

I found a house for sale, I knew the area and was able to look back (at least 10-20 years) and see when a similar house in the area was sold for, at what I thought was the right price. I took that price and added 6% per year compounding to get to a current price estimate. Do this for several houses in the area you want to buy. This has saved me buying in a bubble several times. I had to wait 8 years to buy, glad I did.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
        As I own a house for my family to live in rather than trying to make money from it means rather than wasting my life worrying about this I live it instead , TBH I've go no sympathy for mortgage (not buy) to letters in debt up to their eyeballs so that the poor and young can play their mortgage for them, if prices come down that's a good thing IMO!
        For me it's all about pension's. It's ok living now, but when you get older, who is going to pay you then?
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

200,000 houses is less than what is required to be built every year just to stand still in respect of increasing demand, so I shouldn't expect a huge impact from this.

Comment

I'm selling my long-term let at the minute. It's been on the market for 9 days. We got an offer yesterday. Never expected it to sell that quickly.

Why am I selling? Simply because it stresses me out. If I lived closer I'd manage it myself. Another reason would be, or as I'm not experiencing, the equity performs better in shares and costs a lot less to maintain!
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
              UK House Prices to Crash

Difference is this time, the impact of the BTL changes: . If true, that's got to have some effect on house prices?

I don't think national averages are that useful here, house prices vary a lot regionally - even in a crash some areas can go up or hold steady, equally in a boom some areas don't increase much.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It seems incredible that borrowing can continue to expand at a faster rate than growth. A crunch will come, maybe in the next 12 months, and this may bring prices down. I don't see rates going up (much) for the next 5 years, so if you can afford the payments on a nice place, you can buy some what independent of the state of the market. It's a blacksmiths cottage isn't it? sounds lovely.
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                  I don't see rates going up (much) for the next 5 years, so if you can afford the payments on a nice place, you can buy some what independent of the state of the market.
                  So, what the hell have you being moaning about all this time then!

All those posts, graphs and links about boomers, for nothing
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Don't think I'd sell a house in winter, much more demand in summer and buggers won't be able to tell how terribly insulated it is
                    Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Working...
                    X