• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Net pay - Orange Genie Vs Giant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Net pay - Orange Genie Vs Giant

Hi all,

I'm a 1st time contractor looking for the best way to structure my business, freelance IT contracting. I'm almost certainly likely to be within IR35 so an umbrella seems the way forward.

I've gotten quotes from Giant and OrangeGenie

Based on gross weekly pay of 1600 and expenses of around £160 per week

Giant net pay is £1280 - 80%
    Orange Genie is £938 - 59%

Giant don't seem to have a great reputation on here, so why should i avoid them?

How much (%) do guys running there own LTD companies take home and how do they alleviate concerns over IR35?

Presume Giant didn't tell you about the higher rate tax you will have to pay on your dividends?

Also, if you fail IR35 you won't be able to join the Giant scheme you are referring to as that is for people outside IR35.

Comment

That quote was based on a copy of the contract and using the Giant Trailblazer scheme. As far as i can tell (according to the agent, Giant and the info on their website) I would be eligible to join that scheme.

No mention was made of any dividend payments. Just of the Net pay i can expect.

What level of tax would any dividend payments attract?

Comment

Umbrella

It depends on your level of earnings, but very roughly, anything you earn in excess of £32k a year will have an additional 25% tax to pay on the dividend you receive that falls above that amount.

Your tax and NI is calculated by reference to statute, and not by the whim of an umbrella Company, so the only genuine difference you will see in your income regardless of who you choose will be the differential in the prices the umbrella charges you for processing the payment.

Comment

Re:Take Home Pay

Based on gross weekly pay of 1600 and expenses of around £160 per week

Giant net pay is £1280 - 80%
          Orange Genie is £938 - 59%
          Sounds like all that Giant have done is take off their fee and 19% corporation tax. OG's quote may be on the basis that a salary is paid. It looks like your not comparing like with like.

Comment

Working...
          X