• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Urban myth or truth?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urban myth or truth?

Charlotte , North Carolina :
    A lawyer purchased a box of very rare and expensive cigars, then insured
    them against, among other things, fire. Within a month, having smoked his
    entire stockpile of these great cigars and without yet having made even
    his first premium payment on the policy the lawyer filed a claim against
    the insurance company.
    In his claim, the lawyer stated the cigars were lost "in a series of small
    fires." The insurance company refused to pay, citing the obvious reason,
    that the man had consumed the cigars in the normal fashion.

The lawyer sued.. And WON!

Delivering the ruling, the judge agreed with the insurance company that
    the claim was frivolous. The judge stated nevertheless, that the lawyer
    held a policy from the company, which it had warranted that the cigars
    were insurable and also guaranteed that it would insure them against fire,
    without defining what is considered to be an "unacceptable fire" and was
    obligated to pay the claim.
    Rather than endure a lengthy and costly appeal process, the insurance
    company accepted the ruling and paid $15,000 to the lawyer for his loss of
    the cigars lost in "the fires."

NOW FOR THE BEST PART...

After the lawyer cashed the check, the insurance company had him arrested
    on 24 counts of ARSON!!!

With his own insurance claim and testimony from the previous case being
    used against him, the lawyer was convicted of intentionally burning his
    insured property and was sentenced to 24 months in jail and a $24,000
    fine.
    Me, me, me...

Myth and a very old one at that
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Urban myth.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I was that lawyer. Whilst in prison I dropped weight and made my first time machine using rats in a wheel as energy generator, I then went back in the past and changed it so that it all looks like a myth now, but it really did happen.

threaded.

Comment

But the one about the guy who crashed his motor home when he switched on the cruise control on the freeway and went to make a cup of tea is true I believe, and the reason now why we have stupid comments in instruct manuals saying that cruise control does not mean the car can drive itself.

The one that really bugs me is on toys.

You buy a toy that is blatantly designed for a toddler and it says not suitable for children under 3. You would never buy this for a 3 year old and all they are doing is absolving them from any liability. That really annoys.

Comment

Which is the most annoying though, someone like McDonalds printing "caution contents may be hot" on it's coffee cups, or the tw*t who orders "a cup of hot coffee" and then burns himself and decides to launch a class action suit, meaning your next cup of coffee not only comes with the obvious warning, but now costs 20% more because of increased legal premiums?

Comment

AFAIK it was some lardy arsed woman who was in a car, put it on her lap and spilt it on herself, then sued due to there not being a warning that a hot beverage might be actually... hot.

She should have been sued for polluting the gene pool of the planet.
              Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
                Which is the most annoying though, someone like McDonalds printing "caution contents may be hot" on it's coffee cups, or the tw*t who orders "a cup of hot coffee" and then burns himself and decides to launch a class action suit, meaning your next cup of coffee not only comes with the obvious warning, but now costs 20% more because of increased legal premiums?
                I thought some ignorant twit would bring that one up. The case was that the McDonalds staff super-heated the coffee in the microwave in order to play a trick on a regular customer who placed the coffee cup on her seat when ordering in a drive thru.

The result was severe burns. The employees should have been prosecuted for criminal assault but a civil case was brought instead. Don’t believe everything you read in the Sun.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Snopes always knows...

http://www.snopes.com/crime/clever/cigarson.asp
                  Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                    I thought some ignorant twit would bring that one up. The case was that the McDonalds staff super-heated the coffee in the microwave in order to play a trick on a regular customer who placed the coffee cup on her seat when ordering in a drive thru.

The result was severe burns. The employees should have been prosecuted for criminal assault but a civil case was brought instead. Don’t believe everything you read in the Sun.
                    Yeah, right.

http://lawlibrary.ucdavis.edu/lawlib/nov01/0285.html
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_coffee_case

Comment

Working...
                    X