• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The middle class is in for a tax shock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As if middle classes were not shocked already ...

"All this leaves pension reliefs as the most likely source of additional revenue. Starting as far back as Nigel Lawson, these have been under attack for decades. The present Chancellor has continued in much the same vein, repeatedly eating into lifetime and annual reliefs. Now he’s considering going the whole hog and doing something truly transformational....

Pension reliefs currently total around £50bn a year, equal to about 3pc of GDP, or more than the defence, foreign office and overseas aid budgets combined. As things stand, the great bulk of these reliefs go to higher and additional rate taxpayers. Simply by limiting the relief to the basic rate of tax, the Chancellor could save himself around £12.5bn a year. " (AtW's comment: you dirty higher and additional rate taxpayers, how very dare you to earn so much money on which you pay hefty taxes!!! )

Source: Jeremy Warner: The middle class is in for a tax shock as George Osborne tries to hit his budget target - Telegraph

Oh how cheaply he bought them with promise to increase higher rate threshold to £50k

Well, all the Tory voters totally deserved it.
    Last edited by AtW; 13 January 2016, 02:04.

This kind of attack on middle class will mean that the Tories will get so hammered at next elections, its inevitable that Corbyn will emerge winner by a landslide. It could also mean that Tory party might shrink rapidly to a fringe party. You really need to consider voting for Corbyn next elections, he is the only politician who will listen to the voters and do what is best for them. All the rest are just proxies to rich corporations.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

It's only fair
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
        This kind of attack on middle class will mean that the Tories will get so hammered at next elections, its inevitable that Corbyn will emerge winner by a landslide. It could also mean that Tory party might shrink rapidly to a fringe party. You really need to consider voting for Corbyn next elections, he is the only politician who will listen to the voters and do what is best for them. All the rest are just proxies to rich corporations.
        I never thought I would be so inclined but I must admit that I see real evil in GO and Cameron, and Corbyn now appears to be coming through as probably the only front-running politician I would vote for. Labour will probably hammer people for tax too but perhaps at least they will be honest about it. Damned either way we are - might be best to leave the country, but to where I do not know.

The Tories have most certainly lost my family's vote.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          This kind of attack on middle class will mean that the Tories will get so hammered at next elections, its inevitable that Corbyn will emerge winner by a landslide.
          It means UKIP will win. Then we can send home the foreigners. And any UK citizen who lives abroad should lose their citizenship.

Comment

Whilst we're at it remove the vote from those that contribute nothing to the countries coffers (they have no right to say how to spend it). Switch to a fairer system of 'social security' where by there is a safety net for those that find themselves (genuinely) looking for work and for those that live off the taxpayer some form 'contribution' to the nations well being.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
              Whilst we're at it remove the vote from those that contribute nothing to the countries coffers (they have no right to say how to spend it). Switch to a fairer system of 'social security' where by there is a safety net for those that find themselves (genuinely) looking for work and for those that live off the taxpayer some form 'contribution' to the nations well being.
              So the rich f**k the poor over by unfettered immigration which helps no-one but the rich. And manufacturing jobs off-shored. So the poor have no route but benefits.

And then they lose the vote. Nice......

Comment

So the rich f**k the poor over
                Where's your evidence of this?

And whilst we're at it there are no more* 'poor' in this country, that's an insult to the hard working and tax paying of this country.

*Well statistically insignificant, and usually self inflicted

unfettered immigration which helps no-one but the rich
                I assume you mean the rich employer? Real rich people don't have to work. Whilst I agree with the sentiment that companies that cynically employ 'cheap' labour from the continent depress Salaries and rates, there are as many UK businesses who will tell you a tale of posting jobs to the job centre and getting zero response.
                And manufacturing jobs off-shored
                95% of the profit of most products comes from the service side, 5% from the manufacture. (This figure comes from the BBC's Robert Preston who did a series examining the decline of manufacturing in this country).

So the poor have no route but benefits
                See above re 'poor'. Working too good for them then?

And then they lose the vote
                Lets hope so as it's obvious that the only vote they will cast is to vote themselves another payrise/more security in their chosen lifestyle.

Nice......
                Well you did post on a forum where most have carved out a nice living by working hard, no doubt we're the very 'rich' of which you speak.

Why did your remark require a double ellipsis?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  Damned either way we are - might be best to leave the country, but to where I do not know.
                  The Dagobah System?
                  Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 13 January 2016, 19:48.
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

What has Nigella got to do with this?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X