• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At a loss about dividends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At a loss about dividends

This is entirely my opinion but I don't think you need to worry about paying salary or dividends when you are not making any money or even if you are in a negative equity situation.

Big companies do this all the time. It is the basis of capitalism (see previous thread on that topic).

If you pay out/continue trading at the expense of others eg shareholders, suppliers, lenders, HMRC then you may well get into trouble but as long as you don't diddle anybody including the Revenue, as a one man band you can go negative if you think that is appropriate. I mean as far as the Revenue are concerned, they would like you to keep spending. It puts cash their way.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

I don't understand the above at all. Dividends can only be paid from profit for a start. Paying dividends out of money that you think you will earn later and can fudge the paperwork is something to worry about.

I don't think methods adopted by big companies are much use to single revenue T&M contractors.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 12 January 2016, 16:23.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I don't understand the above at all. Dividends can only be paid from profit for a start. Paying dividends out of money that you think you will earn later and can fudge the paperwork is something to worry about.
      I guess my point was whilst people keep on saying dividends can only be paid out of profits, I don't think that is true. So we need to double check that first.

Secondly when we say 'can be somethinged' you have to realise that translates to 'who might stop you and how?'. I've been doing this a lot longer than almost anybody here and I've only had the Revenue get involved once. That was so long ago I can't remember the details. However I'm 99% sure I've paid dividends in the past when I'd made a loss and the Revenue didn't raise any questions.

Finally bear in mind the original question was about when the company had no monthly fee income. Nobody said the company had not got profits or reserves from previous activities.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Erm.....

https://www.gov.uk/running-a-limited...imited-company

And
        http://www.accountancy-edge.co.uk/di...dends-illegal/

There maybe ways around it using directors loans and fancy accounting methods but these aren't to be taken lightly. To come on and just say do it don't worry about it pretty poor advice.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 12 January 2016, 22:15.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
          I guess my point was whilst people keep on saying dividends can only be paid out of profits, I don't think that is true. So we need to double check that first.
          Not sure why you would think that it's not true - dividend payments can only come out of profit:

https://www.gov.uk/running-a-limited...imited-company

Dividends
          A dividend is a payment a company can make to shareholders if it has made enough profit.

You can’t count dividends as business costs when you work out your Corporation Tax.

Your company mustn’t pay out more in dividends than its available profits from current and previous financial years.
          Dividends - FAQs - FreeAgent

And it's illegal for your company to pay out more in dividends than it has available as profit for this year or profit held over from a previous year.
          Secondly when we say 'can be somethinged' you have to realise that translates to 'who might stop you and how?'. I've been doing this a lot longer than almost anybody here and I've only had the Revenue get involved once. That was so long ago I can't remember the details. However I'm 99% sure I've paid dividends in the past when I'd made a loss and the Revenue didn't raise any questions.

Finally bear in mind the original question was about when the company had no monthly fee income. Nobody said the company had not got profits or reserves from previous activities.
          Just because you get away with paying dividends when you haven't got profit or retained profit does not alter the legality of the dividend.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

No. You need to double check first before making idiotic comments. Do you think those of us who've been contracting for years have been living in la la land and haven't already checked these things? It is well established that you must pay dividends out of profits. To quote Master N. Molesworth - Any fule kno that.

Getting away with it doesn't mean it's legal.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Nobody said the company had not got profits or reserves from previous activities.
              That's different - if the company still has profit carried over, it can pay a dividend.

Comment

Which makes your original question pointless, since this is perfectly acceptable and always has been.

The only loss involved here seems to be your loss of ability to think and reason coherently.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I have taken three months off last year so have billed less this financial year and I have taken made a loss this year, I carried over a profit from the previous year, and due to the change in dividends tax I am taking off more dividends than profit from this year, but I still have the money to pay for VAT, CT and PAYE.

I think that's that the OP Is saying?!
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

No income, but spending to pay to drum up new revenue and making a loss = Allowed
                    No income, but spending for the sake of it and making a loss = Bend over and touch your toes
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X