• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

london living

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

london living

I am speculating about upping sticks and moving from the north down to London on a premanent basis... few reasons really

What areas should i think about moving to... was looking at South london ..

someone mentioned earlsfield... and I like clapham maybe...
    also someone said greenwich and woolwich

any thoughts anyone?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

What's your budget - buying or renting?
    Where will you work?
    Do you like urban buzz or suburban peace?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Greenwich is pretty good not too expensive and you can get into the City quickly.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

What's your budget - buying or renting?

Buying and the budget is £300k max (i know!)

Where will you work?

will be working anywhere in london hopefully .. the move will be summer 07 so whio knows where my client will be at that stage..

Do you like urban buzz or suburban peace?
        like urban buzz but need green spaces to walk the dog.. and need quiet weekend space...
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

(1) 300k will get you a decent 2 bed flat with a garden. Go for the old Victorian or Edwardian conversions if you can. They're easy to sell on. Also service charges on new builds in London are a rip-off.

(2) In terms of area (and I'm looking at up-coming slightly seedy rather than established on your budget), but with OK travel links:

SE London: Honor Oak, Forest Hill, Sydenham, Beckenham
          West London: Hanwell
          SW London: Colliers Wood, Wimbledon

If you went for a one bed, you might look at Ealing, Chiswick, Putney (all nice areas)

Or you could go into Surrey and Kent with a slightly longer commuting time:
          Guildford, Bromley for example.

(3) Areas to avoid:
          NW, North, East London (there are exceptions, of course)
          Last edited by sasguru; 17 October 2006, 10:44.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

If you're a young single guy and want the proper London experience then somewhere like Clapham def would suit. It's got the buzz, it's close and it's got a bloody big common you can walk your dog in - or go a wee bit futher and you've richmond park.

NW There are some great sopts too (Dunno why Sas doesn't like em) - angel/islington is cool - not soo much greenery - or Primrose hill (Bit exy but you're next to regents park and it feels like a village).

Putney (Where I live) is good, next to river and parks but probably a bit not quite so buzzy as say Clapham (More couples and youg families)
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Try Northfleet or even better Swanscombe, both in Kent and very close to the new international rail station Ebbsfleet. If I remember correctly the trains will go to London Bridge within 15 mins.

House prices are cheaper out there but obviously being Kent it's not anything like the City atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
                If you're a young single guy and want the proper London experience then somewhere like Clapham def would suit. It's got the buzz, it's close and it's got a bloody big common you can walk your dog in - or go a wee bit futher and you've richmond park.

NW There are some great sopts too (Dunno why Sas doesn't like em) - angel/islington is cool - not soo much greenery - or Primrose hill (Bit exy but you're next to regents park and it feels like a village).

Putney (Where I live) is good, next to river and parks but probably a bit not quite so buzzy as say Clapham (More couples and youg families)
                Clapham's Ok, but on the crappiest line - Northern - always breaking down. Also isn't it rather expensive?
                Angel/Islington - Overpriced and crap - always fights breaking out on Upper St. nowadays - seems to be mixtures of toffee nose twats and chavs.
                Primrose Hill - brilliant but 300k will get you nowhere.

I like Putney and SW london in general. Not so in your face but lively enough and you can actually get a little village atmosphere in places like Barnes.

I would stick to South West or West London to be safe, although SE london is on the up and all the young trendies are moving there + the East London extension line will raise prices in a few years.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                  (1) 300k will get you a decent 2 bed flat with a garden. Go for the old Victorian or Edwardian conversions if you can. They're easy to sell on. Also service charges on new builds in London are a rip-off.

(2) In terms of area (and I'm looking at up-coming slightly seedy rather than established on your budget), but with OK travel links:

SE London: Honor Oak, Forest Hill, Sydenham, Beckenham
                  West London: Hanwell
                  SW London: Colliers Wood, Wimbledon

If you went for a one bed, you might look at Ealing, Chiswick, Putney (all nice areas)

Or you could go into Surrey and Kent with a slightly longer commuting time:
                  Guildford, Bromley for example.

(3) Areas to avoid:
                  NW, North, East London (there are exceptions, of course)

I am impressed. the first useful post since October 2003.
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                    I am impressed. the first useful post since October 2003.
                    Have you ignored the post where I told you to stop being a weak, wimpish bullied victim and stand up for yourself?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X