• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To Infinity & Beyond!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Infinity & Beyond!

The SpaceX rocket returning whence it came.

New footage of SpaceX rocket landing - Business Insider

It's been done:

https://youtu.be/BNhk_-v0SMs?t=547
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Seen it. Got me wondering however. The rocket has returned to earth, it's in atmosphere. Why not just use a small aero engine with some jet fuel? It's got to weigh less than all the fuel they're using for a controlled rocket decent.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Seen it. Got me wondering however. The rocket has returned to earth, it's in atmosphere. Why not just use a small aero engine with some jet fuel? It's got to weigh less than all the fuel they're using for a controlled rocket decent.
        Why don't you email them and ask them?

Comment

Why not just use a small aero engine with some jet fuel?
          I suspect that it would freeze in space.
          This showed more promise.

Comment

That looks incredibly dangerous to me.

For that reason, I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Why don't you email them and ask them?
              Okay just did. Watch this space. Outer space.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                I suspect that it would freeze in space.
                This showed more promise.
                In 1989, HOTOL co-creator Alan Bond formed Reaction Engines Limited (REL) which has since been working on the Skylon vehicle intended to solve the problems of HOTOL. In November 2012, REL conducted tests on an engine observed by the European Space Agency and declared the tests a success and that a major technical obstacle had been removed.[6] In July 2013 the UK government announced a £60m investment in REL

Hmmm like fusion it's been a long time a-coming
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Less good:

SpaceX Falcon rocket explodes on landing after delivering satellite to space - BBC News
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Surely it must cost more in fuel, tech., cleaning, testing for structural integrity etc than it would just to make a new one?

Comment

Working...
                    X