• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Career earnings total

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Career earnings total

Okay, everyone is talking up their own rates etc. Some people have a good run but what is everyone coining over a 'career' ?
    In just over 18 years work I have just passed 650k gross (this includes 14mths placement student on 7k/year !)
    This works out as 36k/year which is by no means spectacular but is steady !
    On the contract side average is just over 48k/year (10.5 years). I do live in the northwest which dictates rates but also living expenses which needs to be considered.
    So, what is your career total perm + contract ?
    What is your average/yr ?
    What is your contracting avg per year ?
    ---------------------------------
    I am genuinely interested but feel free to add the inevitable:
    1.2bn
    1.2bn/yr (only had to work one)
    ditto
    HTH - threaded.

Don't be a pig luke - a lot of people in this country barely earn enough to go on holidays once a year, no need to flash your big money earnings.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      Don't be a pig luke - a lot of people in this country barely earn enough to go on holidays once a year, no need to flash your big money earnings.

Don't know if this was a joke or serious post, but it made me laugh!
      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Don't know. Spent it all on wine and women (not much into songs). The rest I wasted.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

I can't be arsed to work it all out. But, my first proper job (permie) paid £7,500 a year. Three years ago I made that with an extra 0 on the end.

The last 2 years have not been as profitable but they have been invested in my get out of working plan.

Comment

In the 12 years I have worked. I would assume its close to 750k/800k, including a few years on crap money.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

How much have I earnt? About a tenner. How much have I been paid, rather more.

Comment

You forgot to adjust for inflation. I started on 15k 11 years ago, which is probably ~24k in today's money. Which means, adjusting for inflation, I'll pass the cool mill mark sometime next year. Yet my net worth is nowhere near that amount.

Comment

Gentlemen,

this thread is in bad taste, I suggest to edit the posts to contain different content.

Fools.

Milan.

Comment

Fair enough AtW, I will give you that one, thought you would have a better understanding of real poverty than any of the pampered souls on here.
                    So it looks like people don't know (how can you not keep track ?) or it is less than you expect (easier to think about current/best paid job, forget crap ones + gaps) or don't want to say, which is fair enough !
                    Point is, it's possible but not easy to sustain big bucks for ya common or garden contractor over a 40yr career, that's why I think a credible plan B needs to be a priority when the money is rolling in.
                    Your reasonably bright permie in another business area (i.e. not IT) can expect a gradual but consistent climb up wage/benefit scales and over a career come out just as well overall. This isn't always the case of course but looks to be for many of the people I know.

Comment

Working...
                    X