• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well at least it gives hipsters a purpose in life.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well at least it gives hipsters a purpose in life.

Are beards good for your health? - BBC News
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

As one newspaper put it: '"Some beards contain more poo than a toilet."

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Some people love a headline don't they? They even take them out of context to get maximum coverage. Here's the full quote:

So, what's the evidence that beards pose any sort of health risk? Pogonophobes, people who fear beards, had those fears confirmed by a recent study in New Mexico where they found traces of enteric bacteria, the sort usually found in faeces, in randomly sampled beards.
      As one newspaper put it: '"Some beards contain more poo than a toilet."
      But is this typical? A recent and rather more scientific study, carried in an American hospital, came to very different conclusions.
      and by way of further explaination:

Perhaps. But there was another more plausible explanation staring them in the face. That beards fight infection.
      Unlikely? Well, driven by curiosity we recently swabbed the beards of a random assortment of men and sent them off to Dr Adam Roberts, a microbiologist based at University College London, to see what, if anything, he could grow.
      Adam managed to grow over 100 different bacteria from our beards, including one that is more commonly found in the small intestine. But, as he quickly explains, that doesn't mean it came from faeces. Such findings are normal and nothing to worry about.
      The real point of the story was the discovery, in beards, of new antibiotics:

Adam indentified the silent assassins as part of a species called Staphylococcus epidermidis. When he tested them against a particularly drug-resistant form of Eschercichia coli (E. coli), the sort that cause urinary tract infections, they killed with abandon.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
        Some people love a headline don't they? They even take them out of context to get maximum coverage.
        That I do, fine old journalistic tradition, works for the Daily Mail, they sell a lot of papers.

I'm guessing you have a beard
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

<stokes beard>
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            <stokes beard>
            Has it gone out?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              Has it gone out?
              ducking typos!

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Has it gone out?
                Trying to get rid of all that the poo
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I had to get rid of mine because the juices from mutton flaps kept congealing in it.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                    I had to get rid of mine because the juices from mutton flaps kept congealing in it.
                    Not any good for storing them up, for when you get hungry later on?

Maybe, that's what SimonMac was up to, reheating his leftovers
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X