• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Largest known prime number found

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Largest known prime number found

Largest known prime number discovered in Missouri - BBC News

I didn't know it was lost - was it behind the sofa?

"The new prime number was found as part of the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (Gimps), a global quest to find a particular type of large prime numbers."

Comment

I was invited the the GIMPS convention, but was turned away for being "unsuitably attired".

Comment

The Gimps project has calculated the 15 largest Mersenne primes in the 20 years it has been running and it is possible that there could be an infinite number of them to discover.
        If you are working with an infinite number of numbers there is guaranteed to be an infinite number of primes. That's the interesting thing about the term infinite that most of us can't comprehend.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I was invited the the GIMPS convention, but was turned away for being "unsuitably attired".
          Yeah same happened to MF

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Yeah same happened to MF

Curry?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Largest known prime number discovered in Missouri - BBC News

I didn't know it was lost - was it behind the sofa?
              Not mine...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                If you are working with an infinite number of numbers there is guaranteed to be an infinite number of primes. That's the interesting thing about the term infinite that most of us can't comprehend.
                Thanks for stating the obvious Einstein but the real story here is that knowing the current largest provides for extra leverage in areas such as security and specifically cryptography

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                  Thanks for stating the obvious Einstein but the real story here is that knowing the current largest provides for extra leverage in areas such as security and specifically cryptography
                  Not yet. It's a bit too big for our current technology.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                    Not yet. It's a bit too big for our current technology.
                    Granted but we'll soon need the strength (NSA back doors not withstanding!)

Comment

Working...
                    X