• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Three month advanced warning.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three month advanced warning.

Client advised that my contract won't be renewed (ill have been with them16 months and 3 renewals by the time I leave) because they have decided that the project is going to take long enough and require enough on going support that the can get permies in to do it.

So I've got until the 30th of march. Whats the market generally like in April/may, know theres a slump round xmas.. Guess its picked back up by April/may?

The entire market? Across the whole country covering every skill out there? Pretty crap.. Or are you looking at an area of the country with a specific skill set?

Itjobswatch might give you a clue about what's happening on the boards but if what people say about fake ads it might not be the best indicator.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

like it or not, you will find out soon. you can tell us then

Comment

In my line of work, same as it was in 2008. Amazing.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
          So I've got until the 30th of march. Whats the market generally like in April/may, know theres a slump round xmas.. Guess its picked back up by April/may?
          Here you go:
          Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          December - clients are on wind-down for Christmas so don't recruit
          January - clients are on a post-Christmas downer so don't recruit
          February - clients are clearing up January so don't recruit
          March - clients are waiting for the budget in April so don't recruit
          April - clients are trying to understand the implications of the budget so don't recruit
          May - clients might do a little bit of recruitment
          June - clients are thinking about the summer holidays so don't recruit
          July - clients are on holiday so don't recruit
          August - clients are either on holiday or just back and showing off their tan and photos so don't recruit
          September - clients might do a little bit of recruitment
          October - clients are thinking about half-term so don't recruit
          November - clients start thinking about Christmas so don't recruit

That sums up my year
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Here you go:
            January - clients don't hire because they are recovering from Christmas
            February - clients don't hire because they take time off for skiing in half term and then a week either telling their colleagues about it or in hospital
            March - clients don't hire because they are waiting for the new tax year
            April - clients don't hire because they haven't got all the budget they wanted
            May - clients don't hire because they are off for half term and then spend a week talking about it.
            June - clients don't hire because they are planning summer holidays
            July - clients don't hire because they are winding down for the summer holidays
            August - clients don't hire because they are on holiday
            September - clients don't hire because they are thinking back to their holidays
            October - clients don't hire because they are on half-term holidays and then bragging about them
            November - clients don't hire because they are planning Christmas parties and holidays
            December - clients don't hire because they are partying and then on holiday

Pick your time for looking for a new contract carefully.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Brilliant replies so far.
              Tbh the way this clients parent co is they might change their mind a few times before the end of contract anyway.

Comment

Brilliant replies so far. Tbh the way this clients parent co is they might change their mind a few times before the end of contract anyway.
                You should check advice from the General (hospital) next month, it may also change their mind

Comment

What TheFaQQer said

But that aside, over the years I've landed gigs at just about every time of year, whether shortly before Christmas or the middle of the summer holidays. There's one born every minute

Comment

Here you go:
                    Here you go:
                    So good, it's worth repeating.

Comment

Working...
                    X