• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A touch of CV advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A touch of CV advice please

Hi All, Just need a bit of advice on whats the best thing to do with my CV.

I finished a fairly long term contract last July and went travelling around the US for a few months. I came back and went into a contract that didn't end so well after only two months so now I have a gap on my CV of 6 months.

Is it better to add the details of this job even though it ended not so well or is it better to just leave the gap?

Appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks

Details of the gig. They won't know how it ended so pretty irrelevant and short term gigs aren't really a problem unless you have a raft of them. Falsifying information on your CV can land you in very hot water if any kind of credit check it background check is required. At the very least it makes you dishonest and that won't sit well with any client.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just to add that I have 15 years of solid work with no gaps.

Comment

Originally posted by JackOfAllIT View Post
        Hi All, Just need a bit of advice on whats the best thing to do with my CV.

I finished a fairly long term contract last July and went travelling around the US for a few months. I came back and went into a contract that didn't end so well after only two months so now I have a gap on my CV of 6 months.

Is it better to add the details of this job even though it ended not so well or is it better to just leave the gap?

Appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks
        Will you get references from that not-so-well-ended contract ?
        If Yes, add it
        If you won't then just give references to previous gigs/jobs and say that manager on this one doesn't wish to be contacted but still add it

tl;dr add it

Comment

I'm sure if WTFH has a look in he'll have some good advice, I found him very helpful.

Broad strokes though, would seem to be in order. If someone is concerned they can ask the question.

Comment

Add it.

Unfortunately, the client doesn't give references, and you're under and NDA so can't even reveal the client name.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Just to add that I have 15 years of solid work with no gaps.
              If they get sniffy about a break of a few months after 15 solid years, you don't want to be working with them anyway.

Comment

There won't be a reference there... I do have two other references from other previous jobs though.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                  I'm sure if WTFH has a look in he'll have some good advice, I found him very helpful.
                  My God, you have been taken in by him too.
                  It won't last.

I do have two other references from other previous jobs though.
                  Just as well, agents won't submit your CV without them
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    My God, you have been taken in by him too.
                    It won't last.

Well his idea of paring down your CV to a couple of pages and having date, company name, role and a couple of job highlights seemed sound to me...you don't agree?

Comment

Working...
                    X