• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lied about rate to recruiter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lied about rate to recruiter

Hi,

I have been looking for a new role that offers a higher rate compared to my current role. I am currently on a very low rate for the jib I am doing. From my conversations with several recruiters, I noticed that as soon as they hear my rate (some not all) the change the potential rate of the role, saying that I shouldn't expect that certain higher amount since I am on such a low rate, regardless of my experience.

So I read around on forums, and learnt that it is best to avoid the answering the question all together, or puff up the rate, as there is no way the recruiter will find out my actual rate, unless my current employer gives this information to them.

I did just that, I avoided answering the question as best as I could, but in one instance decided to give the recruiter a puffed up rate. This particular recruiter was very kind and said that he thought I am seriously underpaid and proposed to put me forward for the role for 80% of my puffed up salary which is really 100% of my current salary.

Having completed the interview, it is getting a bit more real for me, and I am now worried that this might end up getting me into trouble if I am offered the job.

Does anyone have experience of dealing with such a situation?

When the role is contract you state the rate you want and when it's permanent you state near the salary you want.

In the case of contract work, the agency can check your company accounts but as most are submitted a few months after the company year end, they won't see them until you are in the role.

In the case of permie work, the accounts people will eventually get your right tax code when you state you don't have a P45 but again it will be a few months after you are established in the role.

Edited to say: The recruiters are checking how confident you are so lying is run of the mill.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I suspect that when the recruiter ask the current rate is for marked research.

Comment

It's called the art of negotiation. You say you want high, he saysblower and hopefully you meet inbetween and that's a good rate for you. It really is as simple as that. Your previous rate isnof no concern to the agent and there is no way he can find out. He'll quite happily sell you a dummy to take a big chunk of your rate so don't worry.

I'd suggest you toughen up quick because agents will roll you over without batting an eye lid. Read the post about two references to get an idea of their tricks. Either that or search the forums for agent and read as many threads as you can. If you can't do some basic negotiation with them you are gonna be screwed when they withhold payment from you.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 21 January 2016, 21:07.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          It's called the art of negotiation. You say you want high, he saysblower and hopefully you meet inbetween and that's a good rate for you. It really is as simple as that. Your previous rate isnof no concern to the agent and there is no way he can find out. He'll quite happily sell you a dummy to take a big chunk of your rate so don't worry.

I'd suggest you toughen up quick because agents will roll you over without batting an eye lid. Read the post about two references to get an idea of their tricks. Either that or search the forums for agent and read as many threads as you can. If you can't do some basic negotiation with them you are gonna be screwed when they withhold payment from you.
          Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by peng000 View Post
            he thought I am seriously underpaid and proposed to put me forward for the role for 80% of my puffed up salary which is really 100% of my current salary.
            I think maybe you've got that the wrong way round.

Are you a contractor? If so, then it's your rate, not your salary.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Yes, they should ask the contractor rate not the current salary.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

I have had recruiters go to me "What was your last salary?"

So I get them to confirm whether the position is actually a contract position.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X