• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone got an Ambilight TV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got an Ambilight TV

I've seen good reviews of this in the past but have no idea if it's still used, and if anyone but Philips uses it. In the 1080p days, I saw reviewers state it made far more difference in real-life than which amazing processor the TV had, etc.

So I wondered if anyone has a TV with this and would recommend it - and if it still has a place in the days of 4K, HDR, etc (although I'm perhaps thinking I'd buy a decent HD LED set cheap and wait for the specs to settle down)?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

There are a few OS clones out there.

Amblone: DIY Ambilight

like the look but not tried it myself.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I probably can't be arsed, but the nerd in me is intrigued.

Is there any good/easy way to find out when a TV was released, to avoid buying something from 2009 thinking it's a good deal? Some handy site?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        There are a few OS clones out there.

Amblone: DIY Ambilight

like the look but not tried it myself.
        had one before Sky HD came out, it definitely enhanced the viewing, but I found it a little off putting with the Xbox, TBH I didn't know they still did them.

If you are considering a 4K, don't buy a Sony. I bought one, and whilst it's a lovely picture, it's an Android device that will let you use it as a TV when it's finished loading all the Android guff. Takes about 45 seconds from turning it on to getting a picture, then about another 10secs before you get any sound. If you are lucky. Because it seems to think it has to connect to the web before it can do anything else.

So you are sat there waiting for handshakes, any updates it feels it must have, then it loads the whole options screen, then you have to faff about with probably the worst designed remote control, pressing buttons that do nothing apparently and have the texture and positive feel of a beaten up Speccy until it "decides" you can actually do what you want with the TV. Or it turns itself off again.

A TV designed by a computer nerd that has no idea what it's prime purpose is. To turn on and show you a broadcast program.

As soon as I can raise the funds, it's going.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
          If you are considering a 4K, don't buy a Sony. I bought one, and whilst it's a lovely picture, it's an Android device that will let you use it as a TV when it's finished loading all the Android guff. Takes about 45 seconds from turning it on to getting a picture, then about another 10secs before you get any sound. If you are lucky. Because it seems to think it has to connect to the web before it can do anything else.
          You've not used a YouView box then?

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
          you have to faff about with probably the worst designed remote control, pressing buttons that do nothing apparently and have the texture and positive feel of a beaten up Speccy until it "decides" you can actually do what you want with the TV. Or it turns itself off again.
          The YouView gizmos are imho the worst rc's on the planet - would be an interesting head to head to see what is the biggest pile of poo out there
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Smart TV isn't currently a big deal for us as we use the PS3 for all that, though OTOH it's a bit daft having the PS3 just for those things.

One assumes (hopes) Ambilight can be disabled in the same way you can turn off your subwoofer - keep such things for proper "TV watching" rather than just having the news/neighbours on

Comment

Working...
            X