• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Xenon headlight bulbs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xenon headlight bulbs

I have an occasionally flickering Xenon bulb in my trusty starship mileage Saab 9-5.
    I believe these rather big headlight bulbs do need changing due to deterioration as the years go by, & their output does seem dimmer than a few years ago (just like the battle weary driver!).
    As my commuting car I am usually happy to do the more easier/moderate servicing bits myself.
    Anyone ever delved into buying/replacing these themselves. As I am currently finding a wide range in prices, even on the more recognised named brands.

Anyone have any previous dealings in this illuminating area?
    “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

It would be cheaper to keep the good bulb and swap the car IMO.

HTH
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Interesting response

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      It would be cheaper to keep the good bulb and swap the car IMO.

HTH
      NL,

Always happy to consider my options.
      But at a mere 268k the trusty Swede is only just broken in.
      “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

Comment

You can change them yourself, but it takes a bit more care and attention as there is a genuine risk of electrocuting yourself, and if you get any greasy fingerprints on the bulb it can cause it to blow when it heats up.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          You can change them yourself, but it takes a bit more care and attention as there is a genuine risk of electrocuting yourself, and if you get any greasy fingerprints on the bulb it can cause it to blow when it heats up.
          Thanks for the tips DaveB.

There seems to be some big prices variations on what is available.
          I plan on steering a way from the cheaper end of the market with the unbranded clones. A Philips or Osram one seems like the best option so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
            Thanks for the tips DaveB.

There seems to be some big prices variations on what is available.
            I plan on steering a way from the cheaper end of the market with the unbranded clones. A Philips or Osram one seems like the best option so far.
            Xenon bulbs seem to be one of those things margins aren't set.

The mighty Mondeo (not Xenon though) runs on cheap Bulbs from Lidl, last forever. Price is not always quality.

Same for halogen make sure you use a paper towel to hold the bulb.

branded but cheap is probably best.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
              in my trusty starship mileage Saab 9-5.
              Are they the ones that have the bulkhead splitting problem?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                as there is a genuine risk of electrocuting yourself, .
                On 12 volts?
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  On 12 volts?
                  If he means HID, then it's 25,000 volts via a step up transformer system. Oh and they can explode so never try one outside of the headlamp unit...

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    On 12 volts?
                    It's not volts that kill, it's amps!!

Static electricity is about 25,000 volts isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                    X