• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Empire of The Shunned.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Empire of The Shunned.

A trend that worries me, is repeated hostility to contractors who are just starting off.

Maybe I am missing the point, but those of us with decades under our belts, should offer our experience.

A new contractor who just cut the umbilical cord, for whatever reason may come here for advise.

What is more important? Stamping tenure in contracting in an internet forum on a new guy who couldn't even compete with many of us, or offering positive advise that may keep him off the bench?

We all started somewhere.

What are you on about?

I tell the new poster to search for things as it's quicker and then give them an answer.

Haven't you heard the saying about teaching a man to fish?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

And the word you are looking for is advice :
      Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
        A trend that worries me, is repeated hostility to contractors who are just starting off.

Maybe I am missing the point, but those of us with decades under our belts, should offer our experience.

A new contractor who just cut the umbilical cord, for whatever reason may come here for advise.

What is more important? Stamping tenure in contracting in an internet forum on a new guy who couldn't even compete with many of us, or offering positive advise that may keep him off the bench?

We all started somewhere.
        Yeah, let's All give good advice to the competition. Rightio.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Yeah, let's All give good advice to the competition. Rightio.
          Healthy completion stimulates a market.

Are you telling me that the millionaire property owner, MF, sees a new entrant into the contractor market as competition?

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
            And the word you are looking for is advice :
            No, the word I was looking for began with 'W' and ended with 'R'.

Comment

It's not so much hostility to new contractors, it's irritation at answering the same questions over and over again when definitive answers are, for the most part, provided via the links on the right hand sidebar of the site.

If people have read these and come back with some sensible questions based on reality then they get answered sensibly. Unless they post in General of course, in which case it's fair game until the Mods come and rescue them by moving it to the professional forums; or they post asking if some 90% take home scheme is legit, in which case all bets are off.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Most newbies need to know 3 things.

1) That they need to read, understand and comprehend far more than they currently have - and the correct advice is already on this forum after 10 years of people asking the same questions

2) The world doesn't owe them a living however its not the first contract that is difficult to get but the second one as the money runs out

3) If it looks too good to be true, it probably is...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                  I could not agree more. General needs fresh meat. Lets lure the little newbies from professional forums with a trail of sweeties into general.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Most newbies need to know 3 things.

1) That they need to read, understand and comprehend far more than they currently have - and the correct advice is already on this forum after 10 years of people asking the same questions

2) The world doesn't owe them a living however its not the first contract that is difficult to get but the second one as the money runs out

3) If it looks too good to be true, it probably is...
                    4) Where to get the best gladiator movies
                    5) How to bleed a DFS sofa

Comment

Working...
                    X