• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear, the war has started...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear, the war has started...

One of the new managers here has decided to let a contractor go, budgetary reasons supposedly, and given them a months notice.

Unfortunately they're not too happy about it, what with being here 3-4 years and all, and it's rapidly descending into the vicious sort of permie politics where her and her partner (also a contractor here the same length of time) seem to be doing their best to use every trick in the book to cast doubt on his position and perhaps get him fired instead.

So, the question is, is this the way contractors should behave to preserve their position, or would you just accept the agreed notice and count the benefit of you and your partner having banked 500-600 every day for the last few years and move on?
    Last edited by Joe Black; 18 October 2006, 12:10.

Pfffffffft, if the manager was worth his weight in salt he would let the f8ckers go right now

Mailman

Comment

He doesnt need to. He's a permie and thus a lot harder to get rid of. HR will weigh up the work required to get rid of him against doing sod all for a couple of weeks and letting it all blow over and make the easy choice.

If the contractors push too hard the manager can claim gross misconduct or similar and terminate on the spot.

Preserving his position sounds like permie talk. He's had a good run and as a contractor it goes with the £500pd rate. Suck it up and start looking for a new gig. At least he has a month notice to do it in.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Sorry, isn't this what contracting is all about? Taking a higher rate to offset the risk of being moved on (amongst other things)?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
          He doesnt need to. He's a permie and thus a lot harder to get rid of. HR will weigh up the work required to get rid of him against doing sod all for a couple of weeks and letting it all blow over and make the easy choice.

If the contractors push too hard the manager can claim gross misconduct or similar and terminate on the spot.

Preserving his position sounds like permie talk. He's had a good run and as a contractor it goes with the £500pd rate. Suck it up and start looking for a new gig. At least he has a month notice to do it in.
          It's a she by the way.

As for gross misconduct, well if what he (the manager) says is true, that she's been billing for 8 hours while doing only 10 til 4 (I always thought she worked in another building), and now not co-operating with him I'd guess that might be decent grounds.

Problem is I don't think he's high enough up the food chain to take direct action, hence why she and her partner are probably trying to go round or over him.

I think most though would consider themselves to have done quite well to have had 2 x 500 a day for 3-4 years coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
            I think most though would consider themselves to have done quite well to have had 2 x 500 a day for 3-4 years coming in.
            I guess people get used to the income and the lifestyle, when in reality perhaps they should view those few high earning years as a chance to build up funds for the future. I can't believe some people think they're going to contract forever at £xxx a day. Surely the plan would be to squirrel away enough (or invest it) to never have to be so worried about work again.

I can see why the couple is vexed, but I completely agree in that they should be ecstatic about having had a continuous high income (x 2) for so many years.

Kick her in the nuts from me. Surely she's got some.

Comment

If I was a permie manage I would never let contractors become entrenched, they do start behaving above their station. 1 year max I reckon. The one that is really annoying is when the long term contractors start throwing their weight around with other contractors !

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
                Kick her in the nuts from me. Surely she's got some.
                But she's bigger than me!

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
                  I can't believe some people think they're going to contract forever at £xxx a day.
                  My ex wife seems to think so...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

They should go permie if they want to act like permies.
                    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X