• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommended Health and Dental Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended Health and Dental Insurance

Hi Everyone!

It's been many years since I last posted to this forum after several years as a "permanent" employee.

I've recently returned to contracting and running a couple business lines.

Please can I ask for your recommendations on "value for money" health and dental insurance policies. Note, I only tend to use these policies where the claim is very large e.g. After 2 years I have a new root canal treatment next week at £1060!

I look forward to your feedback.

I assume General wasn't a bear pit back then?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I asSume gEneral wAsn't a beaR pit baCk tHen?
      It's always there, however subtle.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I assume General wasn't a bear pit back then?
        Stay permie and use your lovely private health benefits (own room with Sky TV) to fix all, then go contracting and beg the NHS to fix you before you die HTH (BIDI!)

Comment

There aren't any.

Simply because unless you are young, have no preexisting conditions and good teeth then you are more expensive to insure as you are likely to claim.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks for your useful feedback.

There are a number of private health and dental policies around. I was looking for a recommendation from someone in the know. I look forward to more useful answers.

Comment

I remember years ago leaving a permie job with all these benefits and thinking I'll just pay myself.

I guess the thing is these big companies get it at a mega-discount because they're covering 1000s of staff.

Getting a quote for myself and family and it was a case "how effing much????" Massively expensive. At the time I was only mid-30s, with no health problems at all.

To be honest, at the moment, if either myself or family member has a health problem which needs some sort of hospital referral then paying for the initial appt privately is worthwhile. £150-£200 by me.

OK if they suggest xrays/tests etc then it can get expensive. BUT they know the score if you're paying and dont try to rip you off to be honest, its well worth the money.

Mrs was really, really ill when she was pregnant a few years ago. Had a few private appointments and the guy even recommended course of treatment back to GP. Under no illusions it would have taken ages if we'd waited for NHS. Yeh it probably cost £700-£800 in fees but she was so ill (admitted to hospital 3 times) I would have missed probably 10-12 more days billing than I did.

(Luckily client was local at the time and pretty good)
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetgeezer13 View Post

There are a number of private health and dental policies around. I was looking for a recommendation from someone in the know. I look forward to more useful answers.
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetgeezer13 View Post

Yes, I use Kray Brothers Ltd. Basically I pay 50 quid a month and they don't kick my teeth in. Prevention is better than cure I always say.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                    Stay permie and use your lovely private health benefits (own room with Sky TV) to fix all, then go contracting and beg the NHS to fix you before you die HTH (BIDI!)
                    I had to pay £380 for my surgery as Aviva wouldn't cover the whole cost. And I only got Freeview in my private room.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X