• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Forced pay-cut :D

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced pay-cut :D

I work for a finance industry client and they haven't been doing amazingly this year- in fact over the few months lots of permies & contractors have been let go.
    Now they want us remaining contractors there to take a pay cut, I'm not sure what percentage it's going to be, maybe 10-15% I'd speculate.
    I was considering my options, I have only ~3 months left in a multi-year contract.

My options are:
    a) Stay with them till the end of my contract. I guess this is being professional, but I'm a bit concerned that it will look bad on my next contract interview being on a lower rate for a while..?
    b) Leave as soon as. I may well be able to get a similar rate as per current, so win-win?
    c) Or take 2-3 months break. This suits some travel arrangements I have pre-booked and I could even try out an idea or two of my own I've had for a while- but I'm also concerned here that it might look bad being "out of work" for a while and having to explain my situation. (although I can probably blab about running a startup etc )

Am I right about some of my concerns here, or am I over-thinking this?

Thanks!

It happens.. A lot... Welcome to contracting. Make your decision, stick to it and carry on as normal.

A lot of people with bluff and bluster but 95% of the contractor will turn up and carry on as normal.

Have a look at this website to see all the other clients that have done the same.

http://www.egos.co.uk/contract-breakers.htm

P.s post in the professional forums, not here.. You'll see why soon
    Last edited by northernladuk; 28 January 2016, 21:30.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How on earth with they know you are on a lower rate at your next interview???

Comment

Originally posted by nicholas22 View Post
        My options are:
        a) Stay with them till the end of my contract. I guess this is being professional, but I'm a bit concerned that it will look bad on my next contract interview being on a lower rate for a while..?
        Why would they know your rate? I would have thought that they would be more concerned about why you left early...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I work for a finance industry client and they haven't been doing amazingly this year- in fact over the few months lots of permies & contractors have been let go.
          Now they want us remaining contractors there to take a pay cut, I'm not sure what percentage it's going to be, maybe 10-15% I'd speculate.
          I was considering my options, I have only ~3 months left in a multi-year contract.

My options are:
          b) Leave as soon as. I may well be able to get a similar rate as per current, so win-win?
          c) Or take 2-3 months break. This suits some travel arrangements I have pre-booked and I could even try out an idea or two of my own I've had for a while- but I'm also concerned here that it might look bad being "out of work" for a while and having to explain my situation. (although I can probably blab about running a startup etc )

Am I right about some of my concerns here, or am I over-thinking this?

Thanks!
          a) Keep earning. Your rate is not something that you need to discuss with a new client. Just state your usual rate.

b) Nose face spite nobhead

c) So, you're a liar? Do what the feck you want.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

P. S. It's a rate cut. Only you can give you a pay cut.... Just saying like.

Comment

Thanks, these suggestions make a lot of sense

I might just stick with (a) as it makes the CV look good, and yeah I agree it's none of anyone's business.

Yeah (b) is a bit stupid I reckon...

As for (c) has anyone taken a few months off mid contracts?
              Did you have to fend off lots of questions about it by agents / interviewers / etc?
              How is it generally perceived.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                P. S. It's a rate cut. Only you can give you a pay cut.... Just saying like.
                Heheh! Thanks mate, that's an uplifting thought!!

Comment

Thanks, these suggestions make a lot of sense

I might just stick with (a) as it makes the CV look good, and yeah I agree it's none of anyone's business.

Yeah (b) is a bit stupid I reckon...

As for (c) has anyone taken a few months off mid contracts?
                  Did you have to fend off lots of questions about it by agents / interviewers / etc?
                  How is it generally perceived.
                  I was out from June - September 2012. Diamond Jubilee, Olympics and then summer holidays. Easily enough explained.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I took 3 months before last gig. Agent and client didn't bat an eye lid as I was the right person for the gig. If a few months break after a long gig is worrying them then Id bet they are not so sure about you in general.

Comment

Working...
                    X