• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Farce Awakens...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Farce Awakens...

EU Renegotiation, the draft is out...

EU renegotiation: UK wins partial concession on migrant worker benefits | Politics | The Guardian
    Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 4 February 2016, 08:08.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Some of these things seem a bit silly: how many EU citizens working in the UK are actually claiming child benefit for non-resident children? Are we talking millions of £s here because I find that very hard to believe. Benefits are being cut back across the board, so it hardly seems a budgetary winner to exclude a few hundred thousand people from being able to claim even if they were all claiming (which I expect they aren't). But it's the principle that matters, right?

The only items that seems sensible are the red card for the Commission and the double-edged one about non-eurozone members not being able to derail things to support the eurozone and the UK not having to bailout eurozone members (maybe). Ultimately I think Europe is going to have to federalise to survive; the UK will continue to be in its playpen chucking out the toys periodically over "unfair treatment" for occasional entertainment whilst being patted on the head by the Germans.

Comment

Not enough, if its stays that way I'm voting to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
        Some of these things seem a bit silly: how many EU citizens working in the UK are actually claiming child benefit for non-resident children? Are we talking millions of £s here because I find that very hard to believe. Benefits are being cut back across the board, so it hardly seems a budgetary winner to exclude a few hundred thousand people from being able to claim even if they were all claiming (which I expect they aren't). But it's the principle that matters, right?

The only items that seems sensible are the red card for the Commission and the double-edged one about non-eurozone members not being able to derail things to support the eurozone and the UK not having to bailout eurozone members (maybe). Ultimately I think Europe is going to have to federalise to survive; the UK will continue to be in its playpen chucking out the toys periodically over "unfair treatment" for occasional entertainment whilst being patted on the head by the Germans.
        It's in the millions but finding out just how much isn't that easy some articles claim £30 million a year other say it's £1 million a week, what is conclusive is that Poland is by far the largest recipient when it comes to claiming for children that are non-resident. Also child benefit paid from the UK is four times the amount that would be able to claimed in Poland.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
          It's in the millions but finding out just how much isn't that easy some articles claim £30 million a year other say it's £1 million a week, what is conclusive is that Poland is by far the largest recipient when it comes to claiming for children that are non-resident. Also child benefit paid from the UK is four times the amount that would be able to claimed in Poland.
          Of which the amount abused is pennies

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
            Of which the amount abused is pennies
            Where in my response did I say it was abused? That's right nowhere. The point is why not adjust it so that it is more reflective of what would be paid in their home country as opposed to the rate that is paid in the UK as the children are not resident here.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Where in my response did I say it was abused? That's right nowhere. The point is why not adjust it so that it is more reflective of what would be paid in their home country as opposed to the rate that is paid in the UK as the children are not resident here.
              Paying for kids that will inevitably land in the UK anyway that is, even if temporarily out of the country.

Comment

Or only pay it if you can be ar$ed to bring your kids over and actually give them a proper family life HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                  Or only pay it if you can be ar$ed to bring your kids over and actually give them a proper family life HTH.
                  I'll be voting to leave as it currently stands.
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Britain would be able to request an “emergency brake” on in-work benefits for EU migrants for up to four years, subject to permission from other member states
                    What a load of

Not worth the paper it's written on.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X