• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Institute of Directors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Institute of Directors

Hello all,
    Has anyone here been a member of the Institute of Directors? The first years fee is £625 and I cant see a way to justify that. Apart from whats on their website I just wanted to know if anyone here benefited in any way.

Originally posted by Naaarwich View Post
    Hello all,
    Has anyone here been a member of the Institute of Directors? The first years fee is £625 and I cant see a way to justify that. Apart from whats on their website I just wanted to know if anyone here benefited in any way.
    Not a member, but I did one of their training days last week, and it was excellent. Members get quite a saving on the training, so if you were considering more than one of their courses, then it would probably be worth the membership fee.

I guess if you're wanting to make a career of being a serial NED, then the networking opportunities would be worth it too.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Not a member, but I did one of their training days last week, and it was excellent. Members get quite a saving on the training, so if you were considering more than one of their courses, then it would probably be worth the membership fee.

I guess if you're wanting to make a career of being a serial NED, then the networking opportunities would be worth it too.
      I'm curious as to what training relevant to one man bands the IoD could provide
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        Some are relevant. List of courses & qualifications | IoD
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The training wasn't related to my day job, although clearly there's some overlap in terms of your legal obligations as a director of a company. But relevant if you're looking for, or have, a board level role.

Comment

Accelerated Certificate in Company Direction Certificate in Company Direction for Finance Professionals Nope
            Accelerated Certificate in Company Direction - Scotland Nope Is there one for England?

Diploma in Company Direction Nope can't see any need

Developing Board Performance Nope other member of the board (wifey) does exactly as she is told

Exam Support

Certificate Examination Prep Sessions Certificate Examination Prep Sessions - Exeter Bet that's a fun course!

Certificate Webinar Session

Your Role on the Board Earn money, minimise expenses and drink lots of booze

Role of the Company Chairman Role of the Company Secretary make me lots of cups of tea / coffee s*x on demand & stop bloody spending!
            Role of the Finance Director Role of the Managing Director Earn money, minimise expenses and drink lots of booze
            Role of the Non-Executive Director Role of the Executive PA make me lots of cups of tea / coffee s*x on demand & stop bloody spending!

Directors' Skills

Business Presentation Skills Chairing Meetings Effectively mine are already very well received!

Coaching Skills for Directors Developing Strategic Thinking bolloxs!

Negotiating Skills for Directors Inspirational Leadership maximise rate!

Keys to Personal Effectiveness Social Media Strategy for Directors Stay off Facebook, don't connect to Agents in LinkedIn!

Comment

To me, it is just a dating website at director level.

HTH

Comment

Accelerated Certificate in Company Direction Certificate in Company Direction for Finance Professionals Nope
                Accelerated Certificate in Company Direction - Scotland Nope Is there one for England?

Diploma in Company Direction Nope can't see any need

Developing Board Performance Nope other member of the board (wifey) does exactly as she is told

Exam Support

Certificate Examination Prep Sessions Certificate Examination Prep Sessions - Exeter Bet that's a fun course!

Certificate Webinar Session

Your Role on the Board Earn money, minimise expenses and drink lots of booze

Role of the Company Chairman Role of the Company Secretary make me lots of cups of tea / coffee s*x on demand & stop bloody spending!
                Role of the Finance Director Role of the Managing Director Earn money, minimise expenses and drink lots of booze
                Role of the Non-Executive Director Role of the Executive PA make me lots of cups of tea / coffee s*x on demand & stop bloody spending!

Directors' Skills

Business Presentation Skills Chairing Meetings Effectively mine are already very well received!

Coaching Skills for Directors Developing Strategic Thinking bolloxs!

Negotiating Skills for Directors Inspirational Leadership maximise rate!

Keys to Personal Effectiveness Social Media Strategy for Directors Stay off Facebook, don't connect to Agents in LinkedIn!
                Sounds good - pad it out a bit and sell it to 20 people for a grand a day each

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Sounds good - pad it out a bit and sell it to 20 people for a grand a day each
                  Seems to be a very modern trend - market & sell courses for what used to be termed common sense

And of course HR (and agents) love it as tick boxes for consideration for roles

Comment

Seems to be a very modern trend - market & sell courses for what used to be termed common sense

And of course HR (and agents) love it as tick boxes for consideration for roles
                    As I say, the course I did really was excellent.

Comment

Working...
                    X