• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been out of work for a while? You're finished!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been out of work for a while? You're finished!

"A field experiment conducted by Northeastern University showed that a recently unemployed applicant with no industry experience was actually more likely to be called for job interview than someone with directly applicable experience who had been out of work for more than six months"

"If you happen to lose your job at an especially unfavourable time and then fail to find a new position before the dreaded six month mark, your prospects diminish damatically from that point on - regardless of how qualified you may be"

The Rise of Robots, Martin Ford
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Give us the link ...

Sounds more like mental diarrhea of a jobless chunt

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      "A field experiment conducted by Northeastern University showed that a recently unemployed applicant with no industry experience was actually more likely to be called for job interview than someone with directly applicable experience who had been out of work for more than six months"

"If you happen to lose your job at an especially unfavourable time and then fail to find a new position before the dreaded six month mark, your prospects diminish damatically from that point on - regardless of how qualified you may be"

The Rise of Robots, Martin Ford
      I can believe it, it's like a curse since you're out of work so long there must be something wrong with you. Helps with the mounting feelings of low self-worth due to long-term unemployment, but you know the jobless are just "lazy bastards" so who cares?

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
        Give us the link ...

Sounds more like mental diarrhoea of a jobless chunt who can't use Google to get the right spelling
        It's a book - Business Book of the Year 2015 FT/McKinsey
        "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

This is definately true. A couple of months is okay, but anything longer than that and you can halve your chances as each month goes by.

The "reason" for big gaps that seems to wash with clients is that you decided to look after the children for a while whilst your partner worked. This means you weren't looking for work, so in the client's mind your not a failure in the marketplace.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
            but you know the jobless are just "lazy bastards" so who cares?
            Absolutely! I'm a lazy bastard.

But then again I was a lazy bastard when I was working. Another quote:

"A report from Urban Institute found that long term unemployed are not appreciably different from other workers, suggesting becoming one of the long term unemployed may largely be a matter of bad luck"

Comment

Wasn't it Richard Cranium who was our very own LTU?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Headline designed to sell book.

A bit like Ben Carson "running for president", but using the funding as a book tour.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  This is definately true. A couple of months is okay, but anything longer than that and you can halve your chances as each month goes by.
                  I think it depends on how the hunt goes. If you have nothing to apply for then you can tell yourself the market is bad (which it probably is), but if you get contacted about jobs and get no response to CVs and attend multiple interviews that gets dispiriting pretty quickly.

My longest spate of joblessness was the first six months I was in the UK and it was awful, but I had elected to move here and mis-timed my arrival during a downturn in the IT market. Had I been made redundant and that followed it would have been a lot worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                    Absolutely! I'm a lazy bastard.

But then again I was a lazy bastard when I was working. Another quote:

"A report from Urban Institute found that long term unemployed are not appreciably different from other workers, suggesting becoming one of the long term unemployed may largely be a matter of bad luck"
                    If the market everywhere is pants, I go to Dublin, I always get a job there, usually over the phone. Work a few months while the market picks up where I want to work. I also leave my last job, as current job, until I find another role.
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X