• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividend via a Trust

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dividend via a Trust

Hi

I wouldn't usually entertain these schemes that we all get phone calls on, but with the new dividend tax law coming into force in April I guess I'm a bit more receptive.

Has anyone heard of Trust Planning? Is this really a viable option? Or is it so risky that you're better off paying the additional tax?

Thanks
    Last edited by Gavwar; 7 February 2016, 00:01.

The new tax is hardly going to cripple you.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gavwar View Post
      Hi

I wouldn't usually entertain these schemes that we all get phone calls on, but with the new dividend tax law coming into force in April I guess I'm a bit more receptive.

Has anyone heard of Trust Planning? Is this really a viable option? Or is it so risky that you're better off paying the additional tax?

Thanks
      Dividend via a Trust?

Is this the one where:

- there is a chargeable lifetime transfer for IHT purposes when you give shares in your limited to the trust,
      - there is employment income tax on the value of the shares that you give the trust because the trustee is an associated person of you,
      - the trust pays the highest rate of dividend tax,
      - there is PAYE/NIC when the trust earmarks the cash for you or pays it to you, and
      - IHT is due on the amount in the trust every ten years and when cash is paid to you?

No idea of whether DOTAS would apply but make sure you find out as if there is a tax advantaged it would look like the new Financial Products hallmark will apply.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        The new tax is hardly going to cripple you.
        Maybe it won't. But it is substantial for those receiving a large portion of income via dividends. Depending your point of view it may or may not be justified.

A30% increase I the basic rate of tax from 20 to 26% would probably have raised quite a lot of comment. That is in effect what this change is.

Comment

RDE Wealth? Just had their call too
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Lets just say it is fine now. Give it a few years and HMRC will collect. Retrospectively.

If you are silly enough to try it, then at least put anything "saved" into a CTD.

Comment

We've had this lot crop up a few times recently.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post2149988
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                RDE Wealth? Just had their call too
                Not sure I'd trust my money to a company that shows net assets of minus £31k, especially as they are promoting 'wealth' structures
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                X