• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adding my wife halfway trough the Financial Year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding my wife halfway trough the Financial Year

hi - Given the dividend tax changes in 2016, and the fact that my wife just quit her job ( last month). I've exhausted my share of Dividends withdrawal this year.

Since dividends are always to be declared to all the share holders - Adding my wife now, can i take dividends in her name ?

How does this work ?

Originally posted by retyfraser View Post
    hi - Given the dividend tax changes in 2016, and the fact that my wife just quit her job ( last month). I've exhausted my share of Dividends withdrawal this year.

Since dividends are always to be declared to all the share holders - Adding my wife now, can i take dividends in her name ?

How does this work ?
    Accountant?

Comment

How does this work ?
      You can't retrospectively issue her with dividends, so if you gave her 50% of the shares now, then she'd be entitled to 50% of the dividend issued from today. Which I assume would then take you above the tax efficient dividend withdrawal amounts advised by your accountant. If you need more cash, you'll have to take the tax hit.
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Don't do it if this is just temporary though. You'll be making a target for yourself if you are changing your shareholding too often.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Wife - Takes your dividends after marriage and the rest after divorce

HTH
          BP

Comment

Consensus amongst the divorced Contracting community that I have worked with is to never let the missus anywhere near the company, & certainly no access to the company bank accounts

But they all may have a slightly biased view

HTH
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              Consensus amongst the divorced Contracting community that I have worked with is to never let the missus anywhere near the company, & certainly no access to the company bank accounts

But they all may have a slightly biased view
              Have you lost your mind?!

Since when has truth become a "biased view" ?

Comment

Better yet get divorced now. It'll save time later on.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

How does this work ?
                  NO!

Any dividend in her name is her money not yours.

Also if you add her now you would still need to pay yourself any dividend at the corresponding rate.
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I've exhausted my share of Dividends withdrawal this year.
                    You've depleted all profit and cannot pay any more dividends? I'd be worried if I was in that position.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X