• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Signal failures" London underground's code word for "we screwed up again"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Signal failures" London underground's code word for "we screwed up again"

Signal failures are so common , I think its just an excuse that London Underground use to cover up their incompetence when they screw up and its their fault.

That's about right ...
    You guys need Indian workers to sort it out?
    Johnny Talibani Mumbai

Comment

Signal Failures ? Funny that, we get them in Scotland as well.
      Bloody interfering London Underground should keep their hands off our rail network !

Comment

Originally posted by ViolentCheese
        Signal failures are so common , I think its just an excuse that London Underground use to cover up their incompetence when they screw up and its their fault.
        Mr Cheese? How do you express your violence?
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

What I want to know is, just how did the 6 months of work on the Waterloo & City Line improve the situation on that service? Has anything changed?

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
            What I want to know is, just how did the 6 months of work on the Waterloo & City Line improve the situation on that service? Has anything changed?
            It's got worse from what I read.
            Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

I don't use the Waterloo & City Line very often but I did last week and noticed that the journey was remarkably smoother than in the past. Personally I don't care how smooth the journey is as long as the service is frequent, quick and reliable.

What I couldn't believe was that within two weeks of reopening after six months of refurbishment work - it was closed at the weekend for refurbishment!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Yes.

Signal failures happen when the 1950s vintage signalling system needs a new valve. (As in thermionic valve).
                Actually, they rarely use things likes valves, it is mainly RRL (Relay Relay Logic). And not little relays either, they are about 8 inch tall, 3 in wide and 6 inch deep, and weigh so much the frame, which will hold maybe 40 relays in total, is secured to a concrete base that requires a crane to place it. There are buildings with maybe 300 such frames dotted up and down the country, and boxes scattered about with maybe 1 to 4 frames by the sides of the tracks.

When there is a fault wiring diagrams are produced and you have to go through the links to find the error.

Anyways, "Signalling Errors" basically means the relay system has discovered a problem and refuse to allow the train to move. Would it be better to tell the truth? "The safety system won't let us move the train even though we tried numerous times to defeat it." I know I would, but most sheeple would panic.

Threaded in "Signals and Telecommunications" mode
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

The smell is worse than it used to be (and it used to be bad). I don't see any evidence of 6 months hard work having taken place. Twenty minutes followed by a 5 month tea break, I'd say.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by ViolentCheese
                    It's never "we've screwed up" its always "Metronet have screwed up"

Comment

Working...
                    X