• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Testing Terminology

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing Terminology

Well I thought I would post this in general for the fun of the responses but it is a serious question too!

Currently we are working on a large development and currently in the first test phase.

It has transpired that the data schema we were given for the data transfers was wrong and so needs to be redeveloped.

However on the test plan it is showing as 'Blocked' by oPMco - my view is that it is not blocked at all - it is in rework because the requirements we got were wrong.

I do not like the word 'blocked' as it implies a conscious effort to not get things working.

Am I just being overly sensitive on the terminology or do I have a point - generally because the exec's at the top reading the test reports will just see the oPMco have blocked a test.

Any idea's or comments?

tia

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Well I thought I would post this in general for the fun of the responses but it is a serious question too!

Currently we are working on a large development and currently in the first test phase.

It has transpired that the data schema we were given for the data transfers was wrong and so needs to be redeveloped.

However on the test plan it is showing as 'Blocked' by oPMco - my view is that it is not blocked at all - it is in rework because the requirements we got were wrong.

I do not like the word 'blocked' as it implies a conscious effort to not get things working.

Am I just being overly sensitive on the terminology or do I have a point - generally because the exec's at the top reading the test reports will just see the oPMco have blocked a test.

Any idea's or comments?

tia
    ideas

Sounds like you've found a defect to me. Good testing! Awards all round!

Comment

The only other option would be to fail the test which again would look bad on you, blocked has less negative connotations, and suggests it is looking to be addressed.

Once failed its then upto you as to whether you want them to raise a CR to change the requirements as the defect is as designed.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Is the PM a permie? or another contractor?

That would be my starting point

Comment

Fire all the testers and you won't have these problems.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            The only other option would be to fail the test which again would look bad on you, blocked has less negative connotations, and suggests it is looking to be addressed.

Once failed its then upto you as to whether you want them to raise a CR to change the requirements as the defect is as designed.
            Well you could argue the test passed - in that we created the extract in the agreed format and sent it to the relevant system.

It failed to load into that system as the format we had extracted the data into - whilst correct based on the requirements - was incorrect as it would not load into the recipient system.

So oPMco systems have done exactly what has been asked of them.

Not that fussed - it is just a clear attempt by tuliplibra to cover up their inability to get a lot of people in a place full of beer drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
              Is the PM a permie? or another contractor?

That would be my starting point
              Just to humour you they are all from a large consultancy...

does that make a difference?

Comment

Well you could argue the test passed - in that we created the extract in the agreed format and sent it to the relevant system.

It failed to load into that system as the format we had extracted the data into - whilst correct based on the requirements - was incorrect as it would not load into the recipient system.

Not that fussed - it is just a clear attempt by tuliplibra to cover up their inability to get a lot of people in a place full of beer drunk.
                Correct.

Test passed. It ran to spec.

You could argue that it has passed unit testing but failed SIT.
                Root cause analysis would show that it was specified incorrectly; the quality of the spec should be flagged, rather than the inability of the developers to deliver accurately.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Do you need any tester?

I have six of them available

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Depends, are they testing against what was designed or what they expect to happen? Are the test cases approved and signed off?
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X