• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ministers looking at cutting drink drive limit....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ministers looking at cutting drink drive limit....

....to bring us in line with Scotland & the rest of Europe.

From the Times:
    Richard Allsop, emeritus professor of transport studies at University College London, has estimated that 25 lives could have been saved across Britain last year if England and Wales had the same drink-driving limit as Scotland
    25? Ok, if one of those had been someone close to me I'd probably be calling for a complete zero tolerance approach; but I'm sure 25 lives could also be saved by banning no end of mundane everyday activities but nobody ever calls for it.

Rural pubs could close if the drink drive limit is lowered

Until now, the Government has said that the current drink driving limit in England and Wales "strikes an important balance between safety and personal freedom".
    Quite, but personal freedom doesn't seem to count for much these days. We seem to be getting ever more regulated and controlled.

And if they truly want to bring us in line with the rest of Europe, penalties would be graduated with fines for lesser offences & bans / prison for those way over.

Just to point out, I never go over the current limit; I'll have a pint or a glass of wine when I go for a pub lunch & that's it - if I want any more, it's a taxi home.
    Last edited by Gumbo Robot; 11 February 2016, 08:35.

IIRC in 1992 12 people died from switching off their alarm clock.

Comment

8 people died from a heart attack after reading made up facts on an internet forum.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        8 people died from a heart attack after reading made up facts on an internet forum.
        What a load of boll.... ugh, arghhh, ow, help me .................................................. .

Comment

They have rejected it. I heard last night.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

When I was small I knew drink driving was related to alcohol. But I thought there was an issue with reaching over to lift your glass as you might not be properly in control of the car.....

Comment

So what is the current limit? I've just realised I was a factor of two out. I always thought it was about 3 pints.

Not that I would. But I regularly have one pint with a meal somewhere and drive home afterwards and I can't believe it affects my driving more than say being tired after spending 8 hours in front of a computer, or having a cold (the former sometimes feels like 10 pints). If it would save 25 people per year that's 25 accidents 100% caused by a driver having had between 1 (new limit) and 1 1/2 pints (old limit); that sounds rather dubious.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                So what is the current limit? I've just realised I was a factor of two out. I always thought it was about 3 pints.

Everyone knows it is about 4 pints. Of Whisky.

Comment

Well there is a lower limit in Germany, but the penalty isn't very severe if you weren't driving dangerously it's a 300 pound fine and a one month driving ban.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 11 February 2016, 08:53.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Well there is a lower limit in Germany, but the penalty isn't very severe if you weren't driving dangerously it's a 300 pound fine and a one month driving ban.
                    I don't understand that. If your reactions are slower and a pedestrian steps out in front of you it is not good.

On the other hand, OAPs can drive. And I bet most drivers here are safer with a bottle of vodka inside them than most wrinklies....

Comment

Working...
                    X