• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The ultimate BTL?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ultimate BTL?

Yours for a cool £2billion:

M6 Toll motorway put up for sale - BBC News

M6 Toll up for grabs.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

£2BN is pretty cheap if it doesn't come with debts. Only twice its cost to build.

M6 Toll: Is it a complete failure? - BBC News

The M6 Toll cost £900m to build and was opened with a ribbon-cutting ceremony attended by former transport secretary Alistair Darling
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      £2BN is pretty cheap if it doesn't come with debts. Only twice its cost to build.

M6 Toll: Is it a complete failure? - BBC News
      It has produced "no net benefit for drivers whilst causing huge and irreversible environmental damage," according to the Campaign for Better Transport.
      Bolloxs - I use it whenever I travel opp North
      Too expensive for the proles meaning it's always empty and a great way of avoiding Birmingham (perpetual roadworks & 50mph average speed check (that may be deliberate!) )

What's not to like?
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

They should start building these toll motorways in and around London. £50 toll, it would be great for the wealthy BTL owners and contractors to whizz around the SE, avoiding congestions caused by renters and permies.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          Too expensive for the proles meaning it's always empty ... What's not to like?
          Lorry drivers who decide at the last moment that what's not to like is having to pay the toll, and swerve to the left to avoid it.

I was nearly totalled a couple of years ago when that happened, and I've seen it happening to others a couple of times.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Would the buyer have to keep the toll road as a motorway?

It would be more lucrative to build houses all along the side, and turn it into a long residential street, a kind of UK Sunset Boulevard.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Should be taken up past Stoke (ideally up to the M56) to make it truly useful.
              Can't remember ever passing Keele services at more than 40 on a Friday afternoon.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Lorry drivers who decide at the last moment that what's not to like is having to pay the toll, and swerve to the left to avoid it.

I was nearly totalled a couple of years ago when that happened, and I've seen it happening to others a couple of times.
                We have that daily on the M20/M26 with foreign truck drivers pulling out without checking or seeing other vehicles
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I thought it was standard practice for muppets to cut across from lane 3 onto the hatched part to the slip road. I certainly don't just look out for trucks doing that kind of manoeuvre.

What I can't work out is how is that toll road constantly making such a big loss (tens of millions a year losses)? The stats say they get tens of thousands of vehicles using it each day, paying a fiver or more for the pleasure, yet still such big losses.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Should be taken up past Stoke (ideally up to the M56) to make it truly useful.
                    Can't remember ever passing Keele services at more than 40 on a Friday afternoon.
                    For that matter it dumps you onto the M42 at the other end. Should have taken further round to join up with the M40.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X