• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lets hear it for the girls!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets hear it for the girls!

Women write better code, study suggests - BBC News

Now get the kettle on love
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

The team found that 78.6% of pull requests made by women were accepted compared with 74.6% of those by men.
    Statistically significant?

I suspect not, but makes good PC click bait for s

HTH BIDI

Comment

IT decision makers using their sub-belt brain? Fancy that.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

HTH BIDI
        I'd like to see the workings out the other way, of all accepted code what % was male and female
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

HTH BIDI
          Read the paper and find out: https://peerj.com/preprints/1733v1.pdf (PDF)

The statistical analysis seems sound enough to me, though admittedly I don't know what "the Clopper-Pearson exact method" is

Comment

no reason why the girls can't be better at coding.

Possibly they double check & test more than men?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              I'd like to see the workings out the other way, of all accepted code what % was male and female
              Given that there are far more men than women in IT, I'm guessing the % of code by women is small.

I attended a Microsoft web developers day last month - in a room of around 50 people, there were two women. On the plus side, there was no queue for the ladies

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Given that there are far more men than women in IT, I'm guessing the % of code by women is small.

I attended a Microsoft web developers day last month - in a room of around 50 people, there were two women. On the plus side, there was no queue for the ladies
                also because there are a smaller number we are more likely to attract the ladies who really want to code, not the ones that do it to look cool pay the bills like me.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

No need to guess. You can read the paper, as I posted a link to it above. They naturally took account of such considerations when performing their analysis, as they're doing a proper study, whatever garbage the media might turn it into

Comment

So I know that people think Ada Lovelace was the first programer. It's questionable, but I don't really care either way.

But Dr Sue Black (and the lesbian feminist hair-do makes me more suspicious about this...) says that she (Lovelace) invented the idea of programming.

Anyone know if this is true? It sounds to me like the machine had to have been invented to solve arbitrary problems in the first place.

Again... I don't actually care about the fact (other than in a general knowledge pub quiz kind of way), but of the group of militant feminists who frequently tell lies about people & history, a lot of them have either red or blue short hair. This one (if she is one of them) has red hair - which makes me think even more so that she must the on the dark side. Otherwise it'd be blue.

Given the incredibly privileged lifestyle Lovelace had relative the the vast majority of both men & women, it strikes me as remarkably sexist to suggest that we owe it to her to make sure that more girls get into it. Which makes me suspicious again.

Then again, the whole idea that there aren't "enough" women in IT is normally pretty sexist in the first place. If the same logic suggests that there also aren't "enough" male nurses, because we're short and men are put off doing it, then that's ok. But I never hear these people making that argument.

They aren't intreated in getting your mind into STEM - just your vagina.

Comment

Working...
                    X