• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fishing Trip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing Trip

Seen on Jobserve:
    "We are looking to recruit a number of Test Analysts for a huge project based in Leeds. We need people at the top of their game who are dynamic, hard working and pro-active. You must be confident in your own abilities and be able to hit the ground running with little supervision. The environment is Oracle and Unix and Test Director so experience with these is essential. Because of the duration of these opportunities they would suit someone looking for their first contract. Your CV will be littered with long contracts within large, well recognised companies. You will be ISEB qualified and have a full understanding of the V-Model."

Anybody else see this sentence as contradictory? I spoke to this agency last August about the same roles, they were insisting on two references up front, which I declined to give, also they were supposedly for the NHS project but nobody else was advertising them on Jobserve and no other agent contacted me. Is it likely they are the sole suppliers on the NHS project?
    Looks like another fishing trip to me.
    Boom boom boom boom
    A-haw haw haw haw
    Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
    Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Which sentence? there's so many...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot
      Which sentence? there's so many...
      Thought the Bold might just give the game away.
      Boom boom boom boom
      A-haw haw haw haw
      Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
      Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

And this ad is peppered with age-discriminatory phraseology:

"people at the top of their game who are dynamic"

"these opportunities...would suit someone looking for their first contract"

No joke, the top agencies are already issuing internal memos to clamp down on such words.
        "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Yes, and an interesting phrase "Your CV will be littered with long contracts within large, well recognised companies". 'Littered' seems very negative, my CV is 'graced' by long contracts within large, well recognised companies.
          Boom boom boom boom
          A-haw haw haw haw
          Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
          Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by wonderwaif
            I spoke to this agency last August about the same roles, they were insisting on two references up front, which I declined to give, also they were supposedly for the NHS project but nobody else was advertising them on Jobserve and no other agent contacted me. Is it likely they are the sole suppliers on the NHS project?
            No, there are several agencies who are recruiting for the NPfIT, because there are many suppliers. I've been approached for roles at BT in Leeds, Accenture somewhere oop Norf and someone in the midlands (might have been CSC). Different agencies on each occasion.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
              No, there are several agencies who are recruiting for the NPfIT, because there are many suppliers. I've been approached for roles at BT in Leeds, Accenture somewhere oop Norf and someone in the midlands (might have been CSC). Different agencies on each occasion.
              That's what I would expect. Normally roles on big projects have multiple entries on Jobserve from various agencies.Makes me suspicious when I don't see that, especially coupled with an insistance on references up front.
              Boom boom boom boom
              A-haw haw haw haw
              Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
              Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

Quantus Ica Technology - never heard of them.
                Last edited by wendigo100; 19 October 2006, 15:07.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                  Quantica Technology - never heard of them.
                  Not sure what the policy is on 'name & shame', so wouldn't want to say
                  Lets play a guessing game instead - my first is in Australian Airline, and my second is in land mass at the South pole.
                  Boom boom boom boom
                  A-haw haw haw haw
                  Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
                  Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

WTF happened there???
                    Boom boom boom boom
                    A-haw haw haw haw
                    Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
                    Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

Working...