• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Success Barometer: Retirement Survey

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CUK Success Barometer: Retirement Survey

Yo Successful Contractors,

retirement survey

how old are you now ?

when can you technically retire* ?

*technically retire means you have sufficient provision to retire should you so wish, doesn't mean you
    have to. Basically the calculation is, how much you need per year, times the number of years left on the
    planet that's how much you need to retire now

Milan.

Basically the calculation is, how much you need per year, times the number of years left on the
    planet that's how much you need to retire now
    Low inflation will last forever? That's good news.

I didn't plan it, however after the pension reforms next Jan I'll be able to take my final salary pensions from my pre-contractor days at the tender age of 55, and the mortgage is simultaneously paid off.

If pj jr hadn't chosen a 4 year degree, it would have been the perfect storm. As it is I think semi-retirement for another year or so before I hand in the laminated pass for the last time, depending on how the HYP LTBH SIPP performs. You never know.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

40s.

Comfortably.

Am surrounded by retired expats with a pint of San Miguel welded to their hands 24/7. Not a retirement I would choose.

Currently hobby is taking a GS apart and rebuilding it frequently, like a Marine with his gun. Need to do it with my eyes closed for the overland I am planning to Aus. Need to come up with another hobby for the container ship from Asia to Aus.

Will retire in Aus with a pint of VB welded to my hand 24/7 like the entire nation, retired or not.

Comment

what's a GS ?

regarding stripping and rebuilding an AK in the dark, talk to our very own Alexej, as part of his education they were doing that at primary school

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          what's a GS ?

regarding stripping and rebuilding an AK in the dark, talk to our very own Alexej, as part of his education they were doing that at primary school

Milan.

Comment

I'd rather have a G

http://ok4wd.com/media/catalog/produ...5/2/5/2593.jpg

Comment

Pre divorce, could easily have retired at 45, no money worries whatsoever.

Post divorce, I reckon I will be there by time I'm 75 ish. But, probably just easier to book myself into a suicide clinic in a couple of years time.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                You would blow all your retirement money on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnet_de_Passages

The great part of motorcycle touring (apart from the broken bones) is that local communities will do everything they can to help you & engage with you coupled with huge support by forums such as atvrider + BMW will get a part to you anywhere in the world - not that you'll need one.

...and a GS will tackle terrain than a G-wagon just wouldn't.

Comment

No retirement for me. Why retire when the going is great?

Earn as much as I can, shag as many hookers as I can, and when the time is right buy a one way ticket to CH

You will not get a more honest answer than that.

Comment

have you read Tom Shephard's book ? he send me a signed copy :-)

I know about the carnet, I want to do more over land travelling, but probably Moldova would be the furthest, certainly Mongolia would be fun

Comment

Working...
                    X