• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No likey no unlocky

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No likey no unlocky

Apple rejects order to unlock gunman's phone - BBC News

Apple refusing to unlock the killer's phone.
    Smells like a marketing ploy for Apple to demonstrate how secure its phones are. Great unless you're on a talktalk contract
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Why do they want to see what level of candy crush he reached?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Apple rejects order to unlock gunman's phone - BBC News

Apple refusing to unlock the killer's phone.
      Smells like a marketing ploy for Apple to demonstrate how secure its phones are. Great unless you're on a talktalk contract
      They can't actually unlock it as the encryption key is tied to the pin number, and the only guy who knew that is dead.

They've been asked to develop a workaround to allow the FBI to enter unlimited PIN attempts without bricking the device so they can brute force it. I'd be surprised if it was actually possible, even with physical access to the phone. Given the number of very good phone hackers out there, even knowing it was possible would mean someone else would figure it out pretty quickly and I'm pretty sure some of them will have already been trying anyway.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

He should have enabled TouchID, as even when dead it could be opened by the Pathologist
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Here's a couple of good "this is probably how it all works" articles from last year:

Errata Security: What's the state of iPhone PIN guessing

Here's iOS disk / PIN encryption as I understand it - Pastebin.com

Comment

Tim Cook's response letter very eloquently describes the problem with complying with the request.

Customer Letter - Apple
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              They can't actually unlock it as the encryption key is tied to the pin number, and the only guy who knew that is dead.

They've been asked to develop a workaround to allow the FBI to enter unlimited PIN attempts without bricking the device so they can brute force it. I'd be surprised if it was actually possible, even with physical access to the phone. Given the number of very good phone hackers out there, even knowing it was possible would mean someone else would figure it out pretty quickly and I'm pretty sure some of them will have already been trying anyway.
              I thought it was a 4 digit pin so 10,000 attempts needed? The issue is that trying that many *might* cause the data to expire?

I would have a go at the 10,000 attempts! Sounds like a fun weekend to me being a sad geek moron with no life.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Sounds like a fun weekend to me being a sad geek moron with no life.....
                So fourth divorce on the cards?

Comment

I thought it was a 4 digit pin so 10,000 attempts needed? The issue is that trying that many *might* cause the data to expire?

I would have a go at the 10,000 attempts! Sounds like a fun weekend to me being a sad geek moron with no life.....
                  10 incorrect guesses wipes the device.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Nope, the issue is that the phone is irrevocably wiped after 10 failed attempts.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X