• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Well there's interesting then.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well there's interesting then.

Apparently someone's nicked some Iridium 192 in eyerack.

Investigating said Iridium 192 leads to the wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_iridium

which informs us that Ir 192 has a half life of 73 days.

But, more interesting is the nuclear isomer page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_isomer

which describes excited states in nuclei.

There's one in Tantalum which has a half life of 10^15 years, rather longer than the age of the universe.

But Hafnium looks promising:

Another reasonably stable nuclear isomer (with a half-life of 31 years) is 178m2
    72Hf, which has the highest excitation energy of any comparably long-lived isomer.

One gram of pure 178m2Hf contains approximately 1.33 gigajoules of energy, the equivalent of exploding about 315 kg (694 lb) of TNT.

Further, in the natural decay of 178m2Hf, the energy is released as gamma rays with a total energy of 2.45 MeV.
    You get a fair old bang for your gm of Hafnium.

I put 3 teaspoons in my coffee every morning, never done me any harm.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      I put 3 teaspoons in my coffee every morning, never done me any harm.
      In your opinion....
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
      X