• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT on B&B Accomodation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT on B&B Accomodation

Can I claim the VAT element on B&B charges when living away from home.

Does the B&B owner have to be VAT registered, as 1 B&B I stayed at was just a private house providing a B&B.

NAA but the owner must be registered. If you are not charged any VAT you cannot reclaim it. Provided you have received a valid VAT receipt you can reclaim for B&B/hotel bills if necessary business expenses.

Comment

Actually, it's quite common for B&Bs not to be VAT registered. In order to avoid other onerous regulations they like to be 5 rooms or less.

so: 5, times 30 quid per night, times 250 nights per year, which seem a pretty reasonable occupancy rate only comes to 37K, so no need to register for VAT.

Tim

Comment

Re; B&B's

I always stay in a hotel, rather than a B&B (even if it's really a b&b or pub that calls itself a hotel). After endless arguments with tax and VAT years ago about every single receipt from a 'Holiday' B&B (their term not mine) I decided to always use 'Hotels' as not one receipt from such was queried - even though they were often near as dammit the same.

Comment

Working...
        X